Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cap'njack

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2009
I'm not very good with understanding this whole exclusivity business with mobile phones :confused:

I know that O2 have had it for the past two years now...if they were to lose it in late 2009 which seems to be the earliest that it could happen is it likely to be given to another carrier exclusivly or is it more likely to just be opened up to others as well as O2?

I get a 30% discount with O2 and am very happy with the service in my area etc so I'm hoping that O2 sell any future iPhone...although I'd be glad of some competition to lower the prices as I'd get even cheaper line rental :cool:

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
I'm not very good with understanding this whole exclusivity business with mobile phones :confused:

I know that O2 have had it for the past two years now...if they were to lose it in late 2009 which seems to be the earliest that it could happen is it likely to be given to another carrier exclusivly or is it more likely to just be opened up to others as well as O2?

I get a 30% discount with O2 and am very happy with the service in my area etc so I'm hoping that O2 sell any future iPhone...although I'd be glad of some competition to lower the prices as I'd get even cheaper line rental :cool:

I'm glad you have a good experience with them, I don't have good signal here, GPRS with 2/3 bars at most.

janitor1999

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
I too hope that o2 keep the iphone, as they are the only mobile company that i can get a signal for in the house, all the others i have to walk half way up the street to get even one bar, it's a dead spot as far as mobiles are concerned.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
According to rumours, T-Mobile are supposed to be selling the 3G later in the year. Not exclusively, though.

Would be nice if the whole exclusivity thing could be smashed!

eavesdm

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2009
Exclusivity won't change existing contracts - it will just mean that from whatever date, either any network would be able to sell the iPhone or only a specific network would be able to sell the iPhone. I'd imagine they'd first have to demonstrate that their network would be able to cope - Apple wouldn't want the backlash from awarding exclusivity to a network that can't cope or performs badly.

visitormatt

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2009
i have spoken to T mobile last week regarding a business account, and during this phone call discussed the Iphone and the rep told me they do not have a confirmed date but it is expected to be before new year. He didn't however know if it would be the 3G or 3GS that would be available with T mobile.

Perhaps o2 will keep their deal with new handsets?

FXT 1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2009
UK
i have spoken to T mobile last week regarding a business account, and during this phone call discussed the Iphone and the rep told me they do not have a confirmed date but it is expected to be before new year. He didn't however know if it would be the 3G or 3GS that would be available with T mobile.

Perhaps o2 will keep their deal with new handsets?

Yes, O2 will continue to have exclusivity for the iPhone 3G S while the older iPhone 3G will be sold via T-Mobile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.