O2 having reception problems with the iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphoneexpert, Nov 25, 2007.

1. iphoneexpert macrumors newbie

2. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48a Safari/419.3)

Outdoors the reception is fine but indoors its terrible. Usually in my house I have one bar or no service. But when it sits on the cradle it goes to five bars. The thing is it doesn't matter if the cradles connected to the cable. It still boosts the signal no matter what.

There no 3g at all with the phone but edge is quicker than I expected so no complaints.

3. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

I'm happy with the reception.

But more EDGE would be great.

4. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

5. zign macrumors 6502

zign

I am getting much better reception at work with O2, than I ever did with Orange. No one could ever hear what I was saying. (that was on 4 different handsets). O2 reception has been great. More Edge would be nice...

6. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

I have been with o2 for years now.
    I'm sad to say that my old (RUBBISH) Nokia always had full reception at home. My iPhone is lucky to get 2 bars.
    It pains me to say, but I think the problem has a lot to do with the hardware rather than the network.

7. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

All good hear and sounds better than my LG

Very happy with it and EDGE has surprised everyone. Admittedly the EDGE service failed on Friday evening - I bumped into a guy at the bus stop with one and he was having the same problem. In fact I spotted two over the weekend - am no longer feeling quite so special. :(

Edit: Just spotted my typo in the title line, shall pass it off as a poor pun!

8. alFR macrumors 68020

No problems with mine so far, although as noted by other posters more EDGE would be nice!

9. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I'm still assessing my reception but it seems pretty good so far. Of course, you will always have variations between different networks depending on where you are at a particular moment so if you have switched from a different network it is important to factor this into the equation.

10. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Signal is great! Posting this from a train with full signal and EDGE coverage right now :)

More edge in Southampton where I live would be great tho signal is fine and GPRS is way better with a competent device such as this

11. sneeks macrumors 6502a

No real issues with signal strength. Once or twice the phone has dropped in signal in an area where I would not have expected it to but generally I'm happy.

12. marcol macrumors regular

900 MHz = bad?

I had this exact problem. I posted a few comments here:

http://forum.phonedifferent.com/showthread.php?t=156302

The relevant bit is:

Obviously my guess about the requirement for external power is a bit off if signal improves with any dock/cable whether connected to the power or not (I didn't test it unpowered). The guess about the problem being specific for 900 MHz still seems reasonable though. It might be possible to work out if the correlation holds if a few people in this thread (both with and without the problem) were to check the frequency of their local transmitters.

13. ne0star macrumors regular

Signal strength is no better or worse than my N95 in the common locations I use my phone. It is however a lot quicker at re-establishing a connection if lost in comparison to the N95.

14. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Ditto.

I've seen more EDGE being turned on in the last week but O2 should earn my 35 quid a week imo.

15. Devil's Refugee macrumors 6502

Signal strength isn't an issue for me, but I've had dropped calls where normally it wouldn't occur with my old Vodafone service. Bad reception (yet still showing full signal !), broken conversations, usually when inbetween 2 buildings.

16. thworple macrumors 6502

thworple

Signal hasn't been that different from my old Vodafone phone - although at home I only get 1-2 bars downstairs, yet full reception upstairs which is a bit odd.

But I have found that reception has been good in areas I never used to signal in with Vodafone, so I guess its six of one, half a dozen of the other to be honest.

I did have a problem with all my internet/mail last Friday - in EDGE area at work, and home, yet couldn't connect at all - couple of hours later it was fine.

17. sneeks macrumors 6502a

The EDGE/GPRS problem last Friday evening was a nationwide O2 issue.

18. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

Same here. I've seen more E's popping up in the last week too.

19. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

The reception on my O2 iPhone indoors is a lot worse than my old Nokia phone, and my old iMate Jam. I frequently get "No Service" in my house. Outdoors, it's very good.

Also, as others have noted, the signal does significantly increase when the iPhone is placed in its dock.

20. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Were those other phones on O2 as well?

Makes absolutely no difference on mine.

21. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

Yeah, I've been on O2 for about 5 years with all my phones.

22. thworple macrumors 6502

thworple

That's a bit worrying - hope thats an isolated incident!

23. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Unhappily then, that does tend to support the theory that the iPhone has signal issues. :(

24. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

Yeah, it is a bit annoying! This is my 3rd iPhone too - I had a US one from eBay a couple of months ago, and my first UK one had dead pixels (well, so does this one, but I've given up :p), and they were all identical signal-wise. I just tested my iPhone O2 SIM in my iMate too, and I constantly got 1-2/5 bars over an hour period, not dropping once. In my iPhone, I get "No Service" every few minutes. Grr, oh well, it does just seem to be indoors, in places where the signal isn't 100% anyway.

25. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I don't know if it's different with the UK version but I have an unlocked US iPhone and I get amazing signal. The only other phone I've had that can get a signal in my parent's house on o2 is a K750i; my D900, N95 and RAZR all couldn't get a signal.

I'm also the only person in my house that can get a signal downstairs at the front of the house.