O2 Insurance

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by notsofatjames, Jul 20, 2008.

1. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

I upgraded my iPhone on Friday, and the woman in the O2 shop said to me that I had to take out insurance on the phone, but I could cancel it the next day. I told her I was already insured (I work for an insurance company), and that I didn't need the cover, but she said it was compulsory. So today I phoned up to cancel the cover since I don't need it, and was told that it wasn't compulsory. As a gesture of goodwill they refunded my insurance payments and an extra payment of £7.50 would come off my bill.

I think its ridiculous that O2 staff are telling customers the insurance is required, especially after the fuss last year where carphone warehouse got fined by the FSA for mis-selling insurance. Through my job I know that legally you are required to sell insurance based on need, and since I already had cover, I didn't need this policy. She also didn't go through any of the exclusions, excess, or details of the underwriters of the insurance policy, or give me a copy of the policy details.

If anyone else has been told that they must take the insurance, say no! (unless you want it ;) )

2. Zoowatch macrumors 6502

I have also taken the O2 insurance because the staff told me it was neccessary. I don't mind the insurance, but does anyone have an experience filing for claims with O2 when something happened to your iPhone? Was it simple and pain-free or did they make it quite difficult? I know you have to pay some sort of an admin fees, but is there something else I should know too?

Thanks for sharing!

3. zoralink macrumors newbie

Don't talk about carphone!! No seriously, I can't believe their cheek...

I bought my iPhone on launch day, they asked if I wanted insurance, I specifically said no, saying I didn't have enough money, they tried to wing me with "only every 3 months" which i replied again with a detailed no.

A couple days after some random o2 guy is trying to sell me some super offer on their form of insurance, once again me declining, the day after another o2 guy phones, apologizing for not realizing i had already been approached (how nice) very nice in fact, as he informed me i was already put down for carphone warehouse insurance... wait...

Yeh, I cancelled that! Can't believe it!

What makes me laugh even more, it's not in the slightest bit worth it, you still have to pay a fee when making a claim, and that fee is only £10 more without the insurance, and unless you purposefully lose your phone or have it stolen, you're saving money by not having the damn thing!

Lol excuse the rant there, I just find this insurance lark all very unprofessional.