O2 iPad activation question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CWT1965, Jun 3, 2010.

1. CWT1965 macrumors 6502

I have decided to go with o2, I installed the carrier settings update off iTunes and now am wanting to register it via the iPad in settings

In "telephone" do I have to give my iPhone o2 number ? or can I use my landline ? and also in "login" do I have to use my iPhone account log in details or do I just have a fresh login ?

2. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

I used my iPhone number and iPhone account email address, but I think you can put any number/email address in these fields - there's no link to your iPhone account.

3. CWT1965 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cheers, will do that now

4. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Anyone know if I can get carrier settings without connecting to iTunes? I am traveling to the UK from the US and don't want to lug my MacBook. I had planned to buy an o2 sim for a one month supply of 3G and just pop it in the iPad. Will this work? Thanks.

5. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Here are the updated settings for you for O2 UK:

APN - ibrowse.o2.co.uk
    Username - browse
    Password - password

They are the carrier settings aren't they?

Please don't laugh at me if they're not! :eek:

6. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Can it really be that easy? If so, why would they need to do OTA carrier updates?

7. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Sorry, I don't know what OTA carrier updates are. But I can tell you that the iPad carrier updates only include APN settings.

On iPhone, there are a few more bits of info in the update which can affect other built in apps.

See here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1970

8. Hexxeh macrumors member

I think there are two APNs for iPad microSIMs on o2. One is to let you do the on-device activation, and one is to actually browse once you've paid up.

The UI only allows you to enter one, making me think they've changed the carrier settings updates to do more.