O2 iPhone 4 upgrade concerns....!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anim8or, Jun 8, 2010.

1. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

"O2 customers still in contract will get a limited time special upgrade offer. More details in the coming days at www.j.mp/iPhoneOnO2 "

Who else is concerned by this posting on theofficial O2 twitter?

My 3G iPhone contract finished in March and has been rolling on since then... I have been waiting until the new iPhone is released before renewing or upgrading so i can get the iPhone 4 (hopefully at a slight dicount due my upgrade).

Are there any other O2 customers who are in the same boat, and are concerned by the use of the phrase "still in contract"?????

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I guess your still paying O2 money every month?

Albeit you are not signed up for another 12 months, you are still on a monthly rolling contract....

3. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

I think what the statement says is that if you are "still in contract" then don't worry we will give you a chance to upgrade. If you are NOT in contract, PLEASE come and upgrade anytime!

4. johnrs macrumors 6502a

I would suspect that you will be able to get a new iphone on a 18mts contact 16gb for £149 or close to it based on current price

I doubt you will get a discount on that

5. anim8or thread starter macrumors 65816

anim8or

Yeah, i am still paying them monthly... but have had no correspondence with them in regards to my initentions or to sign a new deal.......?

I cant remember what the Ts and Cs were on my original 3G contract concerning the end of my contract.

I would have expected O2 to contact me when my contract was due for renewal?

6. watsonjm macrumors regular

exactly the same as you. Have been rolling my contract since Feb, was told i would be able to upgrade when the new iphone comes out but i fully expect to have to pay the normal price.

The special upgrade will be for 3GS customers with time left on there 18 or 24 month contract.

We'll get buggered

7. flipshot macrumors 6502a

They mean special as in its unusual for them to offer anything to those in a contract. They don't mean so special its going to be better than the offer for those people not in a contract.

8. speed12 macrumors regular

I could of course be totally wrong, but I don't think that existing customers are going to get some amazing deal. The wording from O2 is that existing customers will get 'the same deal' as new customers.

In my mind, what this means is that if you are, say, in the 14th month of an 18 month contract, O2 will let you sign up to another 18/24 month contract, pay whatever amount for the new iPhone depending on what tariff you pick and not have to pay off the remainder of your contract.

If this is the case, then it is EXACTLY the same as someone walking into an O2 shop who has never had an iPhone and taking out a contract. They will still pay an amount for the phone and still sign up to an 18/24 month contract.

So going from Simplicity (as I am aswell) to the new iPhone will be exactly the same again. Just sign up for 18/24 months, pay your money and job done!

Of course, I could also be completely wrong!

9. anim8or thread starter macrumors 65816

anim8or

I would be happy with that... O2 recycle will give me £280 for my 16gb 3GS (note that i bought the 3GS as a pay and go handset, therefor not resetting my contract) so i would be quids in if that were the deal.

10. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

They had the same offer for people upgrading from the original iPhone to the 3G. Even if your contract hadn't finished, you could upgrade.

You should have got the simplicity for iPhone tarriff though, I save £15 a month.

11. Streethawk macrumors 6502

Even if we do, with Mazuma Mobile currently paying £154 for an 8gb 3G, its not going to cost you much out of your own pocket.

12. taffowl macrumors newbie

my plan is to hopefully keep on the existing simplicity 20 contract and buy the iphone 4 on pay as you go. If I cant get a new simplicity micro sim then i'll simply cut down my existing sim card and use that. Should hopefully save me money in the long run instead of entering a new 18 month contract. I only pay £14 at the moment with the o2 30% friends and family discount.