O2: Iphone 4 will NOT send MMS

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Elven, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

Hi all, I know this is a problem a few have faced this is my rundown of attempts to sort this out.

I have fully restored the phone to no success, ensured all the settings are in the right place as due to various sites on Google. Yet I still get to 95% and nothing... only a retry :mad:

I am on O2 in the UK on a normal contract, my iPhone4 is NOT jailbroken nor has ever been.

Any ideas before I give up and swap it for a Blackberry.

2. JamesMB, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011

JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

1) How BIG is the MMs file/pic that you are trying to send? The Iphone 4 takes hi res photos and the files are often well over 1 mb in size.

2) Are you on 3g, or edge? You aren't going to have much success sending a 1mb file with MMS over edge. Yes, I know that it can be done, but more often than not, it will get to 95% and time out.

You could get an app like Photogenie and reduce the size of your photos, before you MMS.:)
    Sure, you could get a BB, but I don't believe that will solve your problem.
    http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8100-series-discussion-pearl/50289-cant-send-high-resolution-picture-mms.html

3. Elven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Elven

1. Not checked, good point however.

2. Edge but using home based WIFI

4. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

I don't believe the MMS app will revert to wifi...I think it always sends over cell network.

That may be the problem.

Try emailing the photo instead?

5. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

The Message app does NOT use WiFi. If you want to send photos from iPhone "4" using MMS over Edge, you will have to reduce them (change resolution) for consistent results.

6. Elven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Elven

Yup that worked, feel like doing a facepalm as it stands out obvious now.

Thanks all!

7. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

It would sure be nice if the messaging app gave us the option to reduce the res/size before a send, like the Mail app does. Maybe that is for another update, since that feature was just recently added to the mail app.;)

8. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You're right...that would be an awesome feature for the mms app.