Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2005
UK
I have just emailed O2 with the following question:

I am likely to buy an iPhone when it is released. I will buy it from my local O2 store.

I understand you sign up for the contract via iTunes. My question is:

If I decide that I do not wish to continue with the contract after I have signed up for one, do I have a few days to cancel free of charge?

If I do cancel, do I have to return the iPhone or can I keep it?

Many thanks,
Josh Emerson

My idea is to sign a contract in order to activate the iPhone, then cancel within the 14 day "cool down" period (where you don't have to pay a penny).

Then, get an O2 sim only contract, and simply pop in that sim to the iPhone.

I will let you know the reply to my email!

I don't think there is anything dodgy about doing this, its just a loophole!

shrewsburywolf

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
I have just emailed O2 with the following question:

My idea is to sign a contract in order to activate the iPhone, then cancel within the 14 day "cool down" period (where you don't have to pay a penny).

Then, get an O2 sim only contract, and simply pop in that sim to the iPhone.

I will let you know the reply to my email!

I don't think there is anything dodgy about doing this, its just a loophole!

There's no loophole mate, the iPhone only works with the SIM that it comes with, unless of course you hack the phone...

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2005
UK
There's no loophole mate, the iPhone only works with the SIM that it comes with, unless of course you hack the phone...

Are you telling me it isn't just locked to O2, it is locked to that particular sim?!

So if your friend who is on O2 wants to borrow your iPhone, her sim won't work in it?!

I've never heard of a phone that does that before. Apple are being very tight about this, why include a sim card at all?!!

shrewsburywolf

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
Yeah, that's the way it is I'm afraid. I think you can use, your 'special' SIM in other phones, but not other SIMs in the iPhone.

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2005
UK
Yeah, that's the way it is I'm afraid. I think you can use, your 'special' SIM in other phones, but not other SIMs in the iPhone.

I see, so TurboSIM works by tricking the iPhone into thinking it has a "Special Sim" in it? Guess its £35 a month for me then. For £22.50 a month on O2 you can get twice the texts and everything else the same.

Bummer!

shrewsburywolf

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
I know it is a bummer, I was considering a crack at hacking, but I don't know if I can be bothered to be worried about future updates and what not... So I guess I will be paying for convenience.

Not sure how much I will be using the cloud hotspots.

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2005
UK
I know it is a bummer, I was considering a crack at hacking, but I don't know if I can be bothered to be worried about future updates and what not... So I guess I will be paying for convenience.

Not sure how much I will be using the cloud hotspots.

Why does it say this on the NYTimes site:

NYTimes said:
Can I use a SIM card from another phone? The iPhone comes with an installed SIM card, the tiny circuit board that stores your account information and phone number. Apple says that you should be able to replace it with any recent AT&T card, once you activate it in iTunes. No other company’s SIM card works in the iPhone.

Did some more digging and found that internet settings are different for different plans, and are not configurable on the iPhone, so perhaps this is why swapping sims won't work - no edge or sms, even on O2.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
That NYTimes article is worded wrong. You cannot use a different AT&T SIM in your iPhone unless it is another iPhone SIM. But you can use an iPhone SIM in any other AT&T phone. I believe both the Apple and AT&T FAQ cover that. The only SIM (without unlocking) that will work in an iPhone is an iPhone specific SIM.

x2zero

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2007
O2 contract cancellation

I've had my iPhone for 2 weeks and have just tried to cancel my contract with O2. They won't let me do that unless I hand over the phone. I told them I wanted to keep it, but they flatly refuse to cancel the contract unless I comply. Is that legal?

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2005
UK
I've had my iPhone for 2 weeks and have just tried to cancel my contract with O2. They won't let me do that unless I hand over the phone. I told them I wanted to keep it, but they flatly refuse to cancel the contract unless I comply. Is that legal?

Well they don't have to cancel your contract, they are doing that as a favour to you, and they are setting the terms. I would just hand over the iPhone and buy another one.

You will probably have to pay a restocking fee. Moral is: think twice, sign once!

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
I assume that they will reimburse you for the iPhone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.