O2 iPhone gets laptop tethering

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by christall109, Jun 12, 2008.

1. christall109 macrumors 6502

According to this 9to5mac article the 3G O2 iPhone will have laptop tethering. You lucky europeans.

Now that the 3G data plan is the same for all other 3G phones on AT&T do you think it is a possibility that we will be able to do this on AT&T in the US?

Life just isn't fair.......

2. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

For an extra $30 a month, maybe.

3. christall109 thread starter macrumors 6502

you guys are so full of hope...

4. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

If it's possible on the the 3G iPhone it's possible on the 3G iPhone. No reason it won't work with AT&T. (unless they don't allow it, which wouldn't surprise me)

5. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

It's not about hope. Sorry Barack. AT&T charges an additional $30 a month for tethering. I'm stating facts.

6. The Phazer macrumors 68030

We'll see.

I would love to believe that tethering was coming in the UK - it would mean that firmware work was still being done on 2.0 and the Bluetooth stack for a start - but that article does have some contradictions in it, like claiming the SIM card won't be removable when Apple UK's site says it comes with the SIM removal tool…

I'm still taking it with a pinch of salt.

Phazer

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

What good did it do to win all those wars against Europeans to not be able to tether an iPhone while they can? And to think it was just Memorial Day...

Until the market gets opened up here, I see NO way of this unless Apple hires The Rock to do some "persuasion." There's a USA Today article about "cell phone plans getting cheaper" on their Web site. It's all about those higher-end plans that hardly anybody uses. The low-ball plans are still the same, and the data plans are ridiculous at $30/month (especially if you can't get 3G). Everybody else is the same here, but open it up to Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc. and see what crazy stuff they all do.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm in Ireland and have O2 broadband modem. I pay €30 per month for 10GB download - but actually only use around 700mb per month.

I also currently have an unlocked iPhone with a vodafone sim though and use €25 per month credit.

If however - the new iPhone on O2 Ireland here allows me to use it's data plan for my laptop as well as phone - I can see it ideally pitched to replace both my current phone and BB dongle, as well as possibly saving me a little money overall. Which would be nice.....

However I remain skeptical until its out. I'll probably end up buying an unlocked 3g one from Ebay eventually.

9. DreamPod macrumors 65816

Europe isn't getting a different firmware than the US, so if they add the ability in Europe, they are also adding the ability in the US.

10. Kupe macrumors member

Tethering capability is generally a software issue, not a hardware one.

11. MacScho macrumors member

can someone please generally describe what laptop tethering is? >__<

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

You can use your iPhone as a modem for internet access for your laptop.

13. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

Not necessarily they could limit it by the carrier, same software but it switches the function on and off depending on what network its on.

14. MacScho macrumors member

oh thats lovely. and its covered under o2's unlimited data and wifi plan?

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Very awesome, nice one o2! Especially considering HSDPA is only fractionally slower than my current home broadband (2mbps) I'm really excited for this. The moment our home connection goes slow I could swap to tethered internet.

Good good news.

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

There has been no official confirmation from O2, just a leak from an anonymous 'O2 insider'. It's all in link in the first post.

17. MojoWill macrumors 6502

my sources tell me the same that you can blutooth to your mac and get internet however be aware that if o2 tell you you need a high plan to tether they are taking crap they cant tell if you are using the internet on the phone or the laptop they all use the same ports to access the net port 80

18. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Let me put on my resident semi-nerd hat and say I think it's technically a gateway, not a modem. :) DSL "modems" aren't even such. But people understand it better. OK OK, I'll take my hat off.

19. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Sure, they can tell when you're surfing.

The iPhone sends a User Agent string with "iPhone" in it.

Makes it really obvious.

20. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

There will be a clause about not using it as your main means of connection, but sweet all the same if it's true.

21. iPhelim, Aug 8, 2008
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
  22. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Let's not give AT&T any ideas now! We need to consider that iPhone users are already paying $30 a month for data! How much does one of those wireless aircards for laptops cost per month?

(update) I just looked on AT&T's website, and LaptopConnect service is $60.00 per month. Blackberry service is $30, but Blackberry with tethering is $60. Bottom line is that AT&T would want an additional $30 for them to allow you to tether your laptop with their permission. Hmmmmm. No wonder they banned NetShare.

HOPEFULLY, by O2 allowing free tethering (or at a REASONABLE added fee), it will pressure AT&T to offer a REASONABLE added fee to allow tethering. Reasonable = $5.00/mo.

23. sibruk macrumors 6502a

That article linked from the first post was written before the 3G was launched, and is to be read as nothing but speculation and conjecture about what might be coming when the iPhone is launched.

Plus, I'm fairly sure the O2 AUP specifically states that tethering is not permitted...

I think there is more chance of peace in the Middle East.

EDIT: Actually, I've just realised that the first post was also written months ago. :D Why was this thread resurrected?!

24. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

this breaks o2's policy... so a definite no-no...

25. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Yes, but that's means monitoring your data, which in theory is not allowed.