O2 iPhone - What are the chances with bad credit?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AnonymousOne, Jul 9, 2008.

1. AnonymousOne macrumors regular

Ok, So when O2 said they were going to release the iPhone 3G on PAYG, I set my heart on it. I put £350 aside out of my driving lesson money and everything.
    But as we all know its not happening till later this year.
    So I've thought about giving in to O2 and trying to get one on contract. Problem is Im only 16 and therefore I cant get a contract (Unless I lie about my age? ;) LOL). I've spoke with my mum about her trying to get one in her name but she thinks its highly unlikely as shes got a bad credit history, not so much recently, but from a marriage a few years back.
    Im guaranteed to pay the bill and stuff so thats not a problem.
    My question sort of stems from what I've heard in that, If you fail the credit check O2 offer that you pay them a deposit that they return after 6 motnhs of paying the bill. Does anyone know if there is any truth in this? Or even better, if there are any options in the case that she doesnt pass the credit check?
    I called my local O2 store and they said they would discuss these things If I came in on Friday but I dont really want to bother going if I have no chance of getting one and I have to stand and watch whilst everyone snaps up all the iPhones.

2. MojoWill macrumors 6502

MojoWill

it really depends on the credit rating of the individual, sometimes it will just fail sometimes it will offer a deposit of anything upto 500GBP

3. AnonymousOne thread starter macrumors regular

4. geeb macrumors regular

How about not putting any pressure on your mother if she has financial concerns.

A real son wouldn't even ask once he knew the situation.

5. barryallott macrumors member

bascially your prob not going to get one

Mobile networks will credit check you mother and although they are more lienant than credit cards or loans they still require a set credit score to be able to get a phone. Some networks (dont know if o2 do) will really only look at the last 3 years, if your mother has no bad credit after that then she might be ok. The best I can offer is that if you really want an iphone either.

wait till they come onto ebay (they will as pay as you go is in other counties) and unlock it, I believe the iphone dev team will come through quite soon afterwards.

Or get your mother to get a contract. But you dont want to be declined in store as this could be a little embarrassing.

6. drpellypo macrumors 6502a

If it's from a few years ago, you should be fine. It depends on what she's done since! My other half went through a similar thing, and her credit was shot. After two years of being good, it went right back up.

They will likely require a deposit, as said. I pre-purchased mine on the O2 website, the payment for which has come out of my bank today (debit card) and they required a £100 deposit from me, which they will refund after 3 months. I have an uber high credit rating, as I've just paid off my mortgage, and have never, in my life, missed a payment, but, I forgot to put my name down on the electoral role so it must be that. This is backed up by the message on the website that said they had a problem verifying my address.

Re your situation, if you don't want to put pressure on your mum, give her the £350 to cover line rental up front, then she's got no worries.

7. AnonymousOne thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice.
    Yeah. Her current financial status is healthy. What happened was over 2/3 years ago. Im good for the money and so is she But I'd be more than happy to pay as much up front as I can afford.
    I'll have a think and consider my options.

8. WellRedd macrumors member

Bad credit in the past does not = current financial concerns, plus, the OP says he can afford to pay the bills. This "real" son merely asked his mum, and she told him the situation, was he supposed to guess that she'd had credit problems in the past?

9. Akaal macrumors member

Akaal

Dont be so rude! Theres a nice way of putting things!

10. istanbul05 macrumors member

Does anyone know what will happen if you have no previous credit history? As i am 18, and don't have a credit card or anything...

11. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

In all honesty you'll probably be declined - that was my experience when I served people in your situation when I worked at o2.

Most people who had NO credit history whatsoever failed most of the time.

12. Akaal macrumors member

Akaal

yes thats true, ppl who just turned 18 couldnt get a contract as they had no credi history for when i worked at orange and therefore sometimes it got declined. But saying that, if you have sufficient ID, then you can always ring up and enquire BEFORE you go to O2 to get your iPhone 3G.

13. istanbul05 macrumors member

thanks for the reply. so is there no chance at all of me passing the check? Or is it just the 'majority' with no credit history that get declined?

14. fruitbat04 macrumors member

You might stand a chance if you are on the electoral role.

After all, everyone has to start their credit history somewhere, and mobile phone contracts are the easiest thing to get.