O2 iPhone with PAYG?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AndyR, Oct 16, 2007.

1. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

When the iPhone came out in the US on AT&T you could choose not to have a contract when activating in iTunes but giving a wrong social security ID so it went onto a PAYG tarriff?? Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Would the same thing be possible with the O2 iPhone in the UK? I am currently tied to Orange for a bit and wouldn't want to pay the £35 min per month anyway, but I have an O2 work phone & sim so would happily buy the iPhone if I could then put my work sim in?

Thx.

PS. Loving my iPod Touch with jailbreak :D

2. RossoA macrumors 6502

RossoA

We have NI instead of social security, but if you just used the unlocking techniques for 1.1.1 you wouldn't have to activate through iTunes, and you could use your PAYG SIM.

3. AndyR thread starter macrumors 6502a

AndyR

Yeah thought about this, just wondered O2 would still sell the phone in store without making you sign a contract there and then so this could be done this way??

4. zevot macrumors member

i want to ask so how r we gonna get after-sale service like repair n exchange of fault phones if u do the unlockin technique for 1.1.1...is there any way to lock it back but it sounds silly that u found it to be faulty when u hv owned it for weeks and still hvnt got a contract for it?

5. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I don't believe that there will be any contract to sign in-store. The commitment to a contract will be made online during the activation process.

6. Steve Jobs=God macrumors 6502

If it is the same method as the US phones - as in no contract to sign in store - then i would think O2 would need to put a fallback in place for people who buy the phone but fail the credit check, can't just have a sign pop up saying...

"thank you for spending £269 on this phone, but we don't want you as a customer, this phone is now useless"

In my opinion PAYG would be an ideal solution for this

7. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

It may be ideal, but will they do it?

8. joezapple macrumors newbie

Personally, i'm desperate for a payg iphone... I only hope it doesn't cost too much (if and when it comes out) :) is that saying too much really???

9. sweetice2007 macrumors 6502

im wondering how much i would be able to sell my iphone for it was the first lot of phones that were available on 1.0.2.