o2 Mobile Broadband and Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sparkyms, Aug 30, 2009.

1. sparkyms macrumors 65816

If anyone, like me, experienced complete disaster after updating to Snow Leopard and their Mobile Broadband stopped working... I have a solution..

Firstly, unplug the dongle from the computer...

uninstall everything to do with the drivers you currently have:
    /Applications/mobileconnect
    /System/Library/Extensions/HuaweiDataCardDriver.kext
    /Library/Modem Scripts/HUAWEI Mobile Connect - 3G Modem

Reboot your Mac.

Then go here:

http://blog.evandavey.com/2008/02/how-to-connect-huawei-e220-usb-modem.html and download and install the drivers...

Plug in the dongle and open up Network Preferences.
    Hit the + and select HUAWEI MOBILE..
    and enter the following info in the fields:
    Configuration: Default
    Tel Number: *99#
    Account: o2bb
    pass: password

hit apply and connect and all should be fixed!

2. otis123 macrumors 6502a

my AT&T 3G modem is working fine with SL, but i can't get WWAN status to show up in the menu bar, i check the box, and it unchecks its self!:mad: would this fix that?

3. sparkyms thread starter macrumors 65816

I've got absolutely no idea.

What network card/dongle are you using (i.e. manufacturer).. this fix will only work on Huawei cards/dongles.

4. otis123 macrumors 6502a

its a sierra wireless usb mercury, so your fix won't work. Its really irritating that i could get it to work in 10.5 but not SL, i dont know how many bars i have!

5. jeme macrumors regular

can't get my Mercury connect USB to work at all in Snow Leopard. Unbelievable...

6. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I was about to throw my O2 dongle out the window because I just couldn't get OS X to display the HUAWEI network interface until I realised I had my MacBook Pro set to boot with the 64-bit kernel. As soon as I switched back to the 32-bit kernel it worked immediately - the kext for the dongle obviously isn't 64-bit :rolleyes:

So thanks to the OP for the helpful instructions and a piece of info for anyone else running the 64-bit kernel wondering why their mobile broadband dongle isn't working!

7. Rubyjones macrumors newbie

Could you tell me if this works if you have not already been using the broadband mobile. I have installed snow leopard and did not know this problem existed, since then i have bought an o2 dongle and cannot get it to work.

8. Shuggyx macrumors newbie

Thanks SparkyMS, that sorted me out brilliantly. My issue was slightly different in that I had bought a new MacBook Pro running 10.6 after my old MacBook (10.4) was stolen. I found that the O2-supplied Huawei connection application wouldn't run at all. I didn't have to delete any files as they weren't there on my new machine, but the new drivers worked absolutely fine first time.

Thanks again - brilliant!