Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

O2 has became the latest network carrier in the United Kingdom to offer the cellular version of the Apple Watch Series 4. iPhone users can now order the LTE-enabled smartwatch through the O2 website, which is offering several personal pay-monthly plans that let users make calls and use a data connection from their wrist, even if they're untethered from their smartphone.

o2-apple-watch-cellular-tariffs.jpg

O2 has launched plans on its website for both Apple Watch Series 3 and Series 4 LTE models, and is offering customers six months of free airtime for the first six months if they sign up to a plan between now and Wednesday, December 18, 2019.

For example, customers who take up the time-limited offer for a 40mm Apple Watch Series 4 must pay a £20 upfront fee and can then expect to pay £19.50 a month for 36 months, and when their free airtime runs out after six months, they pay £5 a month for the data contract.

Apple Watch is available to O2 Pay Monthly customers with an iPhone 6 or newer. New O2 customers and customers who don't have a compatible iPhone can also buy a new iPhone from O2, then add an Apple Watch. The network's full range of plans are available on the O2 website.

EE was the exclusive mobile network in the U.K. to offer a tariff for the Apple Watch when Apple debuted the first LTE-capable Apple Watch (Series 3) in September 2017. Vodafone announced its own Apple Watch LTE tariffs about a year later, and now O2 has joined the eSIM ranks. Out of the big networks in the U.K., that leaves Three as the only carrier yet to offer Apple Watch cellular contracts.

(Thanks, Edward!)

Article Link: O2 Mobile Network Now Offering Apple Watch Cellular Contracts to UK Customers

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Now there’s 3 networks offering the watch it would be good to see some pricing competition.
However they all seem to be priced very similar.

I still begrudge how much Apple charges for the LTE watch vs GPS only, and paying £5 per month for LTE connection when most people rarely use it as they are with their iPhone.

8012R3

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2014
This is actually a really expensive way of getting an LTE Watch.

20 + (19.50 * 36) = 722

PLUS your data plan at £5/month after the 6 month offer.

The watch is “only” £500 from Apple for 40mm. +data plan.

Reactions: SteveOfTheStow

AKDub

macrumors member
May 14, 2015
It still amazes me that 24 month contracts are the standard length, and have been for some time. 36 Months is a disgrace.

MacknTosh

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2015
That’s three networks offering the watch with a cellular plan, but still only EE who offers an eSIM for the iPhone. If they can support a watch eSIM, why can’t they support eSIM for the phone?

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
This is actually a really expensive way of getting an LTE Watch.

20 + (19.50 * 36) = 722

PLUS your data plan at £5/month after the 6 month offer.

The watch is “only” £500 from Apple for 40mm. +data plan.

Exactly. £877 all in.

Compared to £319 to buy a non cellular watch outright. £558 is a hell of a premium to pay plus you’re stuck with it for three years. Not a disaster, of course, but three years is an eternity in this market.

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
Some things with o2. You can choose a 3 month to a 36 month contract and you can pay £20 to the watch’s value upfront. And most curious they are saying the ecg is available in watch os 5

dca100

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2012

O2 has became the latest network carrier in the United Kingdom to offer the cellular version of the Apple Watch Series 4. iPhone users can now order the LTE-enabled smartwatch through the O2 website, which is offering several personal pay-monthly plans that let users make calls and use a data connection from their wrist, even if they're untethered from their smartphone.

o2-apple-watch-cellular-tariffs.jpg

O2 has launched plans on its website for both Apple Watch Series 3 and Series 4 LTE models, and is offering customers six months of free airtime for the first six months if they sign up to a plan between now and Wednesday, December 18, 2019.

For example, customers who take up the time-limited offer for a 40mm Apple Watch Series 4 must pay a £20 upfront fee and can then expect to pay £19.50 a month for 36 months, and when their free airtime runs out after six months, they pay £5 a month for the data contract.

Apple Watch is available to O2 Pay Monthly customers with an iPhone 6 or newer. New O2 customers and customers who don't have a compatible iPhone can also buy a new iPhone from O2, then add an Apple Watch. The network's full range of plans are available on the O2 website.

EE was the exclusive mobile network in the U.K. to offer a tariff for the Apple Watch when Apple debuted the first LTE-capable Apple Watch (Series 3) in September 2017. Vodafone announced its own Apple Watch LTE tariffs about a year later, and now O2 has joined the eSIM ranks. Out of the big networks in the U.K., that leaves Three as the only carrier yet to offer Apple Watch cellular contracts.

(Thanks, Edward!)

Article Link: O2 Mobile Network Now Offering Apple Watch Cellular Contracts to UK Customers
[doublepost=1560522938][/doublepost]Unfortunately (for me at least) the AW contract is not avail for O2 business customers yet - consumer contracts only.

Reactions: connort2301

dead_smed

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2004
Milton Keynes
[doublepost=1560522938][/doublepost]Unfortunately (for me at least) the AW contract is not avail for O2 business customers yet - consumer contracts only.
I've got a feeling I'm going to run in to the same issue when I phone them up. Did they give you any hint we maybe supported soon?

matty2345

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2008
Scotland
Exactly. £877 all in.

Compared to £319 to buy a non cellular watch outright. £558 is a hell of a premium to pay plus you’re stuck with it for three years. Not a disaster, of course, but three years is an eternity in this market.

The price is actually wrong in the article... it’s £19.50 INCLUDING the £5 plan. So £14.50 for first 6 months and then £19.50.

Reactions: orbital~debris

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
The price is actually wrong in the article... it’s £19.50 INCLUDING the £5 plan. So £14.50 for first 6 months and then £19.50.

Exactly.

Apple Watch from Apple - £529

Watch from O2 - £574.49

Total cost £734.76+£20 (754.76) over three years. Therefore, it’s £180.27 over 3 years for cellular connection which is, £5 a month.

£45 cost difference.

O2 also state if you have a cellular Apple Watch and an O2 mobile contract, you can go to the Watch app and sign up for data on there but no pricing is stated. Can anyone help?

joeob

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
Exactly.

Apple Watch from Apple - £529

Watch from O2 - £574.49

Total cost £734.76+£20 (754.76) over three years. Therefore, it’s £180.27 over 3 years for cellular connection which is, £5 a month.

£45 cost difference.

O2 also state if you have a cellular Apple Watch and an O2 mobile contract, you can go to the Watch app and sign up for data on there but no pricing is stated. Can anyone help?

Free for 6 months then £5 a month after that.

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
I will be upgrading to an S5 cellular from my S2 once they are out and to see the cost for data is only another £5 a month seems great to me. On EE you can get 10Gb data for £5 a month on a 30 day rolling contract if you buy the watch elsewhere so that’s probably what I will do. I thought before I had a google the price was £10 a month minimum, not sure where I got that from but £5 seems very reasonable to me.

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013
I’ve had a ss series 0 since launch (4 years) so a 3 year contract isn’t that much of a problem for me, however I couldn’t see a silver stainless steel 44mm in the range? Only a gold ss 40mm and black ss 44mm. Do they offer the silver ss in 44mm as I’ll sign up straight away if they do!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.