o2 network problem?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ibizarocks, Sep 16, 2008.

1. ibizarocks macrumors regular

Hey guys

I've had my iphone since UK launch and recently i've been experiencing some problems. Even though I have reception pretty much everywhere I go I'm starting to get a lot of people asking me why my phone is off as when they call it goes straight to answerphone. Of course my phone is always on so I have no idea what is happening. Additionally some people send me sms messages and they will arrive 2 hours late for example which I think is quite rare.

There is no pattern to the problem and it will happen at any time of the day.

I've spoken to o2 and they recommended turning voicemail off, reseting network settings etc but is there a chance the problem could be with the phone itself even though sometimes it does work?

As I said I generally have 3g reception and if not definitely an Edge connection.

Thanks in advance!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I had this problem with at&t around the beginning of the year, and it turns out that it was a problem with my VoiceMail account. They deleted it, then made a new one and it was fixed. I would suggest having O2 do that for you and see if that solves it.

TEG

3. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Do you have fetch on?

If someone tries calling you and your mail app is trying to fetch email, and you are on a 2G network, then you will not receive the call. Text messages would probably also be delayed due to this.

O2 need to improve their 3G network, a lot of places still aren't covered.

4. ibizarocks thread starter macrumors regular

I've tried everything they've asked and I'm still getting the same problem.

A full restore did nothing, turning off voicemail did nothing.

If I take fetch off that will mean I will have to manually check for e-mail??

5. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

Can you still make calls? can you receive calls from a landline? if you can only recieve calls from a house phone its prbably a network problem.

6. pittster macrumors regular

I've been having the same problem as you, am certain its not the phone/hardware problem, rather O2/signal issue. Or maybe 2.1 software issue?
    it seems to occur when the phone is switching between 3G/EDGE/GPRS signal.

I often phone my iPhone from my landline just to check its not going straight to answerphone. :confused:

7. TheJoker macrumors newbie

Same problem here, started with the 2.1 update for me (or I hadn't noticed it before). My girlfriend is on O2 too, and she's ringing me, in the same room, from her K850i with O2 SIM, and my iPhone goes straight into voice mail. I restart the phone and fiddle with it, like turn airplane mode on then off and then suddenly it works. Voicemail messages show up late as does text messages.

Not very pleased - Safari crashes I can stand, but basic phone functionality should be rock solid.

8. sibruk macrumors 6502a

O2's voice/text mailboxes seem to be constantly screwing up, especially when they migrate you to iPhone it seems. My MMS inbox was screwed up straight after I migrated. I suggest you give them a call (although getting through to somebody who will know what they're talking about could be a challenge).

9. ibizarocks thread starter macrumors regular

I'll have to try them again then and see what they say.

Going to have a go just turning 3g off completely for a bit to see if that rectifies the problem and just switch it on as and when I need.

I've also been experiencing some odd things when making/receiving calls. Sometimes when I ring out it sounds like the phone is underwater and in a windy place and then other times I get massive swoosh sounds. Only way I can get rid is dropping the call and trying again!

neesho - I can receive some calls and make calls. Sometimes however when making calls it just keeps saying call failed over and over again.

Landline always seems to work when I test it.

10. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

Hi, also having this problem just wondering if you managed to sort it? If so, how? Cheers

11. mrtrilby macrumors member

My wife's 2.5G phone has been having this problem for the past week or so. Her phone displays signal, yet calling it gives a "it has not been possible to connect your call" message (it doesn't even go through to her voicemail for some reason).

Sending her an SMS instead also doesn't work - she doesn't get it until after she's switched the phone off and back on again.

It's annoying because she's been very pleased with her phone, but 2.1 seems to have made her 2.5G phone much less stable -it's hung a few times now. My 3G phone is fine.

Edited to mention that we're both only on the 2G network - no 3G around here.

12. ibizarocks thread starter macrumors regular

UPDATE

since I turned my 3g off I haven't had any problems so as stated by another user in this thread, the problem must have something to do with when the phone switches between 2.5 and 3g.

quite honestly now I have found the source of the problem my opinion of the phone has changed. at first i thought it was great like everyone else but having to turn 3g off so people can call you?? isn't this what the iphone 3G is meant to be bringing to us on a fanfare???

a phone that is boasting about it's 3g capabilities that can't even receive calls or texts to me equals a very poor product by Apple.

i doubt that they'll fix this in a firmware update anytime soon either which is a shame.

13. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

So is this the same for everyone, or just some phones?

If its just a number of phones surely they should replace it?, have you tried asking them?

14. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

Ive also been having on/off 3G reception problems on my iPhone for the past week or so. I use safari very regularly so this has been really affecting me.

15. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

I think it's a problem since 2.1 (or possibly 2.02 actually)

Disclaimer: the following is based on idle and uninformed speculation with no reliable sources of fact

Ever since the iPhone 3G was released in July, reception has been fine on 3G almost everywhere I've been, and switching to either Edge or GPRS was seamless. However, apparently across in America, their mobile network (ATT or something) was having problems with the iPhone's 3G connection, so Apple released a firmware update which weakened the power of the iPhone's connection. This may well have fixed things over there, but it seems to have messed things up for us! Now, my phone constantly seems to fluctuate between 3G and GPRS (the O symbol) - even in a strong 3G area, and it handles the switching very badly. Sometimes I find the only way to get it back onto 3G is to put it into Aeroplane ("Airplane") mode and then back again, and magically it finds the 3G signal again.

Couldn't Apple have a different firmware update for us; one that actually works on O2?

(As I said at the top, I could be wrong though, as I have absolutely no expertise or sources of facts :D).