O2 & no preordering

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JDee, Jun 11, 2010.

1. JDee macrumors 6502a

I'm sure many contract, pay and go and business customers of O2 are wanting to preorder a new iPhone 4, but all signs lead to that they are only selling them on the 24th of June.

On their website, it says it's first come first serve basis, and I've just been told on the phone that they're not accepting preorders.

What do you guys think?

2. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

They're not doing it yet.

http://store.apple.com/uk should host PAYG iPhones on all netoswerks.

3. Storm Shadow macrumors regular

The UK Apple website clearly states that you can pre-order from 15 June here.

However it does not say which networks and whether this is pay monthly or pay as you go. I am expecting pre-orders for o2. It makes no sense not to pre-order - especially as they are drip feeding us all the information we need in time for next Tuesday.

4. JDee thread starter macrumors 6502a

They said no on their phones, and only done preorder for the 3G iPhones.

I really hope O2 do it :(

5. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

I popped into my local O2 shop today to ask about preorders, and was told that they are not doing them.

Also asked if I preordered a PAYG one from apple directly, and then wanted to use my existing SIM on it's simplicity tariff, how would they manage to transfer my details/info onto a new microsim? They agreed that this would be perfectly feasible, but as of yet, the only blank microsims they have are for ipads, and they have no idea how the sim transfer will take place. They did admit it was something they should be able to help with though.

I know I can simply trim my existing sim down to size, but to be honest I'd rather it were done properly so as to avoid the possiblity or wrecking it.

I simply cannot believe that this close to launch that they are so clueless about how the whole thing is going to work. Actually, I take that back, I can believe it...... :rolleyes:

6. kopite19 macrumors regular

Weird! AFAIK all phones are shipping with MicroSIMS but to be sure, just register on the o2 site for updates and they said they will try and send a MicroSIM in the post prior to release. The SIM to MicroSIM process will be done online (so you can probably do it in the shop when you purchase the phone). You enter your current SIM ID and MicroSIM ID on an o2 site (this has not gone live as of yet) and the transfer of information will take up to 24 hours. You can use your old SIM until it deactivates and then swap over. Surprised the shop worker didn't know this...

7. iSimx macrumors 6502

iSimx

You can also pre-order from carphone warehouse when the pre-order system goes online. That's been confirmed.

8. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

9. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

Naturally if you buy a PAYG it will have a microsim in it, and it would then be ideal if you could indeed do the transfer process yourself. It would certainly save having to go and stand in queues at the store.

I have already registered for updates on the O2 site, so perhaps they will indeed ship a new microsim out to me.

:)

10. Storm Shadow macrumors regular

o2 have said that although they will try to ship micro-sims to everyone that registers interest on their website and asks for one, they may not be able to ship to everyone. If that is the case then you will still get a micro-sim with the handset which you can then transfer your account onto.

The micro-sim is no different to a normal sim, other than the plastic around the chip. They actually come as one and the same. You push the normal sim out of the big piece of plastic and then if you want a micro sim you push that out of the normal sized sim. - all explained on the o2 iphone 4 site.

So if you do receive one before the phones come out, you can get your account transfered on to it, use it as a normal sim, then when the iphone4 is released, just pop out the micro sim for use in that. SIMPLES.

11. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

So what is your take on how the transfer takes place? Is this something you can do yourself at home, or is it a case of going into an O2 shop and asking them to do it for you?

12. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Call customer services, have the microsim at hand, they'll ask for the number on the card.

13. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

Simple as that? Excellent. :)

14. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Yep, it might take up to 108 hours for the transition to complete.

15. kopite19 macrumors regular

Although true, it's going to be busy calling CS on or around launch. This is why O2 are going to have an online transfer/registration page. You just enter your details, current SIM and MicroSIM ID's and the transfer will go through in 24 hours :)

16. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Knowing O2, the server(s) will probably crash due to "unprecedented demand".

P.S. the servers are ARM A8 CPU with 256MB RAM.

17. jimbob89 macrumors newbie

spoke to O2 customer service today

I was told that pre-orders will start 15th June just like everywhere else! I was also told that it is possible I will be able to get a microSIM with my simplicity contract account on it. I don't have a iPhone specific simplicity as I got it before they changed it but she said that whilst they haven't been given definite answers it'll probably be possible. They wouldn't be able to transfer a contract account the the PAYG sim which would come with a PAYG iPhone, as for some reason PAYG sims are somehow different to contract sims.

18. JDee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here is my dilemma:

I have a business contract with O2 and am due an upgrade. I'm looking for an iPhone 4 16GB.

If O2 doesn't allow pre orders on the 15th or any date for that fact, what should I do?

Here's my questions:

1) If I order it via the Apple Store on Pay and Go, will I run into any problems when I order my iPhone 4 as an upgrade and then selling it on Gumtree / eBay / to a friend? Will I need to take down any IMEI numbers or, say for example my iPhone messed up, will Apple be looking for the one registered to the contract?

Thanks for your help everyone.

19. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Orange are defo doing pre orders. I got an email from them today.

20. Stiss macrumors 6502a

I think I'm just going to pre-order one from Apple. Simplest thing to do.

21. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

PAYG? and which network? I see you on the O2 forum :)