O2 offering Early Upgrade (at a cost)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tigertazz, Jun 10, 2010.

1. tigertazz macrumors 6502

tigertazz

I had an email from O2 last night that stated I could upgrade to the iPhone and come out of my current contract. They are offering a reduced early termination Fee on the assumption that you take up a new 18 or 24 month contract.
    They have been kind enough to offer a calculator on the site to find out your upgrade cost.

follow the Link

http://shop.o2.co.uk/new-iphone/earlyupgradeoffer.html

For my contact (due in December 2011) it costs a 1 off of £340, which isn't bad.

:D

iPhone 4 here I come

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It's £20 a month which is a joke and then you have to sign a new contract 24 months to get the 16gb free.

It's cheaper to pay the £440 for the iphone on payg

3. Mac. macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

Can someone clear this up please:

I pay a one-off fee of £260 and sign a new 18-month contract?

If this is correct, I'm hoping there is a contract for £35, which is what I currently pay.

Thanks.

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Don't forget to add the cost of the phone on top of the £260.

5. Phil Lee macrumors 6502

You pay a one off fee of £260 then you pay a fee for the iPhone 4 which will depend on the contract you chose to take out. For a £35 contract over 18 months, the 32GB iPhone 4 will probably cost of the order of £250, assuming it costs the same as the 3GS. That means you'll have to pay of the order of £510 to upgrade mid contract. This compares with the current cost of £549 to buy a 32GB 3GS as a PAYG phone.

6. Mac. macrumors 6502

Thanks both

Bloody hell! Thought it was too good to be true.

:(

7. iSimon macrumors regular

For many people it will probably make far more sense to get it on PAYG and continue with their current contract - at least that way you aren't committing to a new term, so as and when the iPhone "5" comes out in a year's time, you will likely be out of your current contract (or much closer to doing so) and not have to go through the same thing all over again.

Personally I've given up on contract altogether now. I'm just using monthly bundles on PAYG from giffgaff and just buying the handsets O2 PAYG as no need to unlock them to use on giffgaff (they use O2). I get payback from giffgaff which goes a long way to paying for the PAYG handset cost, and I pay only £10/month rather than £30 - it's win-win-win! :) I'll probably need to trim my giffgaff SIM down myself to fit, but it's hardly rocket science - and there will be tools available to do it if need be.

8. Steve Jobs=God macrumors 6502

Still think this is a good deal, have to remember that O2 aren't under any obligation to give us an upgrade option, they could just hold us to our current deals.

My upgrade fee is £240, plus I'm guessing about £100 for the handset under a new 24 month contract at £45, as it was for when I upgraded to the 3GS however I can claim most of that back by sending my 32gb 3Gs bak to them under their recycle program for which their give me £260 for

9. tigertazz thread starter macrumors 6502

tigertazz

Very good Point, You can send your old iPhone in and reclaim the costs involved in the upgrade. O2 will probably be short on iPhone 3Gs and 3G and will want to get some reconditioned.

My wife just pointed out she doesn't want the new iPhone (can't think why) and is happy with her 3Gs, her renewal date is 1st July 2010 so she said i could have her Upgraded phone.
    Now all I need is a Micro Sim......:rolleyes: