O2 or Carphone Warehouse?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ddk121, Jun 29, 2008.

1. ddk121 macrumors 6502

Hey!
    I need some advice on where to buy and take my iPhone contract out with. There is a Carphone Warehouse just down the road from me. Is there any catch taking out an iPhone contract with them, instead of going directly through O2?
    Thanks

2. shrewsburywolf macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

CPW sales are a pain in the a**e! Go with O2 even if it a little further to travel. (This come's from Nov 9th experience!)

CPW will probably try to con you into some expensive insurance.

3. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

the catch with the carphonewarehouse is that they will try very very hard to get you to buy insurance and accessories, they also are not as well trained as O2!

4. retrospek macrumors 6502

retrospek

I can't stand Carphone Warehouse ! Expect them to try and sell you insurance and Broadband if you buy an iPhone from them...

I completely recommend going to a O2 shop.

5. Vereina macrumors member

Or simply order on-line from O2.

I currently have an O2 "simplicity" SIM contract for £15 each month. When I called O2 a few days ago to enquire, they were quite helpful (and confirmed that I can upgrade this contract to an iPhone directly). They also seemed fairly confident that an on-line order would be fulfilled within a day or two of 11th Jul, so unless you must have the iPhone first thing on the 11th (I must admit, I may succumb to that way of thinking ;)), on-line should be nice and straightforward.

6. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

I would stick to O2 too. I was also told that simplicity (i'm currently on £20/month simplicity) could be upgraded instantly to the iPhone contract. I too will no doubt succumb to getting myself to an O2 store for 7:02am on the 11th.

7. Rigsby macrumors regular

I also think it's worth going as high up for the food chain as possible and that would mean O2.

Carphone Warehouse staff come in just under pond-life but above estate agents.

8. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

I'm thinking they are on a par with double glazing salesmen?

CPW are just an agent for o2 - as said earlier - go higher up the food chain. Once CPW have your cash they will just refer you to o2 anyhow

9. draperm25 macrumors regular

draperm25

10. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

These 'people' are best avoided - they sell on carrier contracts at the same cost as the carrier (o2 in this case) - they have to make up the cash by selling insurance, cases, 'universal' head-set etc.

Go to o2.

11. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

I agree, go to o2.

They set out everything clearly and give you every option from the start, unlike CPW.

R-Fly

12. ddk121 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, thanks for all your replies! I am under 18 years old. Can I still buy the iPhone online from O2, or do I need to be over 18 to do this?

13. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

I'm 16 currently have a contract with O2(iPhone £45 a month), credit check was done with my dads credit card(also I'm paying all my months bills in advance) I pay the monthly bills myself through direct debit from my bank account.

14. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

I believe you need to be 18 to have the contract in your own name. But like the person above, if it is done through a parents card, there is no problem. I was on contract before I was 18 in my mum's name. I guess you'll just have to ask o2 what their policy is.

15. MojoWill macrumors 6502

doesnt matter which company you need to be 18 to have a contract of course the direct debit can be in anyones name under 18 or over.

any under 18s will have to get the contract in a parents name if they agree