Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blueharvester

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Are O2 going to offer the iPhone on a top up Pay & Go basis where you just buy the handset off them?

SayCheese

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2007
Oxfordshire, England
There are rumours that you may be able to get the iPhone on a Pay as You Go option should you fail the credit check. However this is not confirmed yet and is unlikely to be until the first person fails the credit check and then posts about it on here.

BuxtonUK

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2007
There are rumours that you may be able to get the iPhone on a Pay as You Go option should you fail the credit check. However this is not confirmed yet and is unlikely to be until the first person fails the credit check and then posts about it on here.

Since Apple are taking a revenue on each contract that's using the iPhone I highly doubt there will a Pay & Go option, but all you have to do if you fail the credit check is activate the phone and unlock it and away you go.

blueharvester

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Is unlocking the phone the same as hacking it? Is there a risk that you could 'brick' the iPhone if you unlock it?

BuxtonUK

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2007
Is unlocking the phone the same as hacking it? Is there a risk that you could 'brick' the iPhone if you unlock it?

There's always risks and of course each is taken on your own prerogative, but unlocking basically means using any sim card in the phone and it will work, hacking is getting into the system so you can install 3rd party apps and customise the phone.

calculus

Dec 12, 2005
No pay as you go option. See FAQs on O2 site.

There is another thread about this somewhere but I am too polite to point that out ...

blueharvester

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
No pay as you go option. See FAQs on O2 site.

There is another thread about this somewhere but I am too polite to point that out ...
Thanks for this. Apologies if this has been posted before, I did a search but I wasn't able to find anything. Guess I didn't search hard enough ;)

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Do you know of any good unlocking services?

ideally i'd want to unlock mine but can't find any :(

No-one knows the firmware version the UK phones ship with so it's not known if unlocking can be done at this stage.

The failed credit check will result in you being told to take the phone back to apple. It's not like the ATT situation in the states where a fail will get you on payg.

Steve Jobs=God

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2007
So it's more a case of waiting till i get the phone and waiting for a possible sim unlock?

I'm only looking at that possibility because i'm 99% i'll fail the credit check, but if there's not unlock available, my mum said she'll let me set it up under her name and i just pay her the £45 a month in cash

just wish there's was a bolt on for unlimited texts, like in the US, but i'll have to manage

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.