o2 PAYG Questions... (United Kingdom)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mac., Oct 31, 2008.

1. Mac. macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

Hi, I'm thinking a purchasing an 8GB iPhone from o2 (UK) for £349.99, i just wanted to ask a few questions regarding the "free" 12 month Wi-Fi connection.

* I don't make phone calls THAT often, i usually text; so £10 lasts me 5-6 weeks: Will i still get free Wi-Fi after the 4th week of every month? i do i HAVE to top-up at least £10 per-month?

* If i decided not to pay the subscription fee of £10 per-month when the 12 months of free Wi-Fi has ended; can i use my home Wi-Fi connection or any UK hotspot to access the internet on the iPhone?

* I've read that you must buy at least £10 worth of credit when purchasing the iPhone, and then you must buy ANOTHER £10 top-up to activate the Wi-Fi - any truth in this?

Thanks for your help!

2. sparkyms macrumors 65816

1. I would imagine if that is what it says then yes you would hvae to top up ten pounds per month to benefit from free wi-fi.

2. You can use your home wi-fi network for free regardless of any subscriptions you may have, your home network is your network and no-one can charge you to use it.

3. I would imagine that the £10 you use to activate will be enough to activate wi-fi.

hope this helps mate, if i were you I'd give o2 a call just to be sure.

3. ifirth macrumors member

Gave my wife the old 2G phone and got PAYANDGO sim this is how it works for her:

Need to make sure you mean free internet (GPRS, EDGE, £G) and not free wifi (BTOpen zones , The Cloud etc)

Wifi free and unlimited wherever you can get a connection regardless of bolt ons

Web / internet bolt on will cost you £10 every month (unlimited usage)

Yes to paying £10 to stick the credit on phone - then choose your package (we went for the 300 free texts) then £10 for internet bolt on (each month)

It is confusing... I have been on to O2 3 times now to try and get it explained.

4. sparkyms macrumors 65816

The OP is talking about iPhone 3G Pay and Go, that works differently to the Pay and Go on the iPhone Original.

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/paygo

and to the OP, i did a little more digging.. regarding question 1, it doesn't seem like you need to continually top-up, it just says after activation you get the years free wi-fi/internet.

hope this helps dude,
    ed

5. Emth macrumors newbie

I bought a new 3G on PAYG last week. As far as I can tell there are no top up restrictions on the free 3G/o2 WiFi, just for the o2 special tarrifs.

It's a bolt on that usually costs £10 a month but you will get free for a year. It isn't the same situation as ifirth as it is a special offer for new purchases (as these things so often are).

You don't need to top up again to access wifi or any network service.

6. Mac. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the help everybody, i appreciate it.

7. draperm25 macrumors regular

draperm25

I bought minE on sept 16th when thy came out, all u do is purchase the iPhone and u must purchase a £10 top at the same time to activate your wifi and Internet, and ur wifi in BTZones and The Cloud and Internet access using GPRS EDGE 3G is free for 12 months, so if u never top up again for twelve months and dont call or text anyone u will still have £10 credit and would have had 12 months free wifi and Internet,

But please remember that for you to get the free 300sms wen u top up £10 a month, you need to change ur tariff to the text anytime tariff as the simcard That comes with all payg iPhones is set on the Favourite Place tariff

8. Mac. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you :)

9. stan1 macrumors newbie

Quick point; you are going to spend 349 for a 8GB, when if you add an extra 50 you could get a 16GB.
    Regarding your questions,
    1)you must pay 10 top up a month, to be able to have unlimited internet from the phone, including wi-fi access to bt openzone, after 12 months this costs 10, on top of any topup
    2) You are free to use your wifi at any time
    3) not when i got mine, all i topped up was 10 to activate the sim card

10. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

* I don't make phone calls THAT often, i usually text; so £10 lasts me 5-6 weeks: Will i still get free Wi-Fi after the 4th week of every month? i do i HAVE to top-up at least £10 per-month?

You dont have to top-up £10 a month within the first 12 months. You can also change your tariff to one that gives you free texts (just so you know).

* If i decided not to pay the subscription fee of £10 per-month when the 12 months of free Wi-Fi has ended; can i use my home Wi-Fi connection or any UK hotspot to access the internet on the iPhone?

Your network is your network, the "free WiFi" feature is for O2's own WiFi networks.

* I've read that you must buy at least £10 worth of credit when purchasing the iPhone, and then you must buy ANOTHER £10 top-up to activate the Wi-Fi - any truth in this?

No, you buy the £10 to activate the SIM and thats it.

11. sananda macrumors 68020

the only thing to add the accurate post above is that you don't have to top up by £10 initially to get everything working if you already are an o2 pay and go customer.

12. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Oh yes, and you can get rewards, too.

13. Mac. thread starter macrumors 6502