o2 payg visual voicemail question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JamesR1, Sep 3, 2008.

1. JamesR1 macrumors newbie

If visual voicemail isn't available for o2's new payg option, how will voicemail work?

specificaly how will I know I have voicemail? normaly I see an icon on the phone(windows mobile) that notifies me I have voicemail, will I see any sort of notification if visual voicemail doesn't work?

anyone with a v1 o2 payg iphone care to comment on how it works?

Thanks

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

it works in the same way your current voicemail works, with a keypad on screen the whole time

and you get a little red popup on the phone to show you you have a new voicemail

fyi, there was n payg v1 iphone

3. JamesR1 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the quick reply! :)

i thought that v1 iphone could now be used with a o2 payg sim legaly?

anyway, are you sure that the "red dot" your refering to will still function if visual voicemail isn't available? isn't the red dot (on the mail icon?) part of "visual" voicemail only?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The red dot is part of the standard voicemail system that visual voicemail falls back to when it's not available. I've had similar notifications on older phones before the iPhone launched. And the red dot doesn't appear on the mail icon (that wouldn't make any sense).

5. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Yes it is, The voicemail will simply work by text messaging you to say there is a voicemail waiting and you can call 901 or access it through the voicemail button on the iPhone which will call up voicemail automatically....

ShadoW

6. philgilder macrumors 68000

oh yeah it can now be used legally, i forgot
    i just used the v1 iphone unlocked but still on o2 (a different contract)

and yeah, the red dot doesn't appear, you get a text instead - sorry

pressing voicemail is like pressing and holding one on some phones, or dialing 901

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Well that's rubbish. My old Orange phones (3 years ago and older) could do that!

8. JamesR1 thread starter macrumors newbie

so there is no visual indication at all that you have voicemail ?? :eek:

are we sure? if so that pretty appalling!

getting a text to tell me i have a voicemail is a pretty naff solution. i'd be expecting better of the iphone

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Before I got my iPhone 3G that was all I used to get from O2. As I said Orange had this working perfectly over 2G years ago :rolleyes:

10. samiwas macrumors 65816

While I can't say how PAYG voicemail will work, I can tell you that I am an ATT subscriber in the US, and am in the UK on O2. When I get a voicemail, there is a red dot (no numbers) on the phone icon, and a message in the phone app saying "Visual Voicemail is not available", but it has a button to press for normal voicemail. I pressed it, and it connected me directly, without me having to tell it I was international or anything.

11. mrtrilby macrumors member

Without Visual Voicemail you will get a red dot appear on the "Phone" icon. Touching that displays the "Favourites, Recents, Contact, Keypad, Voicemail" toolbar. There will also be a red dot appear on the "Voicemail" icon when you have new messages.

Touching the Voicemail icon will effectively dial 901 for you, and display the keypad to allow you to delete messages etc.

The phone will also display a message about waiting voicemail on the unlock screen.

I know this because O2 initially forgot to enable Visual Voicemail on my iPhone, so I had to use the standard 901 service for a while.