O2 Signal Issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rofl, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Rofl macrumors member

Does anyone who has an iPhone 4 under an O2 contract experience a range of 1-3 bars for the signal on a consistent basis? I just got my iPhone and have been left pretty disappointed - I know having a strong/bad signal doesn't directly affect the quality of a call under 3G, but when accessing the internet via the network, a low number of bars being displayed is having a detrimental effect on the bandwidth cap, hence limiting my access to faster data speeds.

I have heard this issue being reported on the Apple forums as well, so it looks like it isn't just directly affecting O2 customers, but other mobile operators as well.

Could the last update on the signal bar display be the source of all this? I fear that this more 'accurate' determination is actually working against me. O2 is supposed to have the best coverage in my area for 3G, but even when I went to London, I seldom got a full 5 bar signal. I've spoken to a representative and they said it's very normal for fluctuations to happen, but I severely doubt this.

2. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

3. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

I live in Derby and live quite close to the city centre and usually have a good signal when I'm at home. However, when in the town centre I often have very low or no signal at all. Very annoying.
    My brother has an iPhone 4 on Vodafone and he almost always has more signal than me. If only Voda weren't so expensive...

4. Rofl thread starter macrumors member

So you think it's mainly an O2 problem, nothing to do with the software update that Apple released?

When I disabled 3G, I did get full signal strength on O2's 2G network though, so perhaps it is something exclusive to their 3G capability. However, I would ideally want to know whether people on other network's are experiencing the same issue that I am experiencing - be it in the UK or elsewhere. A larger sample could verify that it may be something to do with Apple, rather than the network itself.

5. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I live near blackpool, and due to many mobile masts being near BlackPool tower (if not on it) I supposedly have Extremely good 3G HSDPA signal strength all around here.. my 3GS used to get perfect signal, my i4 gets rather.. shabby signal in comparison.

6. Rofl thread starter macrumors member

Have you been using the same network for the 2 phones?

7. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

I got 4 bars at home (Essex) which is the norm and normally have between 3-5 at work in London.

But on occasions it can go down to 1 bar at each location.

8. Rofl thread starter macrumors member

You would have expected that in a place such as London, 3G coverage would be maximised.

9. MyRomeo macrumors 6502

MyRomeo

also on O2 up by Sunderland, signal very much depends on where I am... suprisingly.

Average 2-4 bars indoor, 4-5 outdoor. mostly 3G and mostly 3mbps+ connection.

10. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

I dont have my handset on 3G though as in my office it shows 1 bar where as if i'm on GSM i'll get 3-4 bars.

11. alFR macrumors 68020

You'd think so, but when visiting friends down there a couple of months ago (when I still had my 3GS) the O2 3G coverage sucked, frankly. It was OK in the City but anywhere outlying (Highgate and Willesden spring to mind) it was very patchy.

12. Rofl thread starter macrumors member

My test was conducted in the central areas - Covent Garden, Leicester Square, Piccadilly etc. Average was around 3 bars.

Like I said, I don't think this issue is inherent to O2. I'll be curious to see whether other networks are facing the same problem around the world.

13. alFR macrumors 68020

Doesn't seem to be restricted to the iPhone 4 either though, as it was my 3GS that was getting bad signal down there before. Unless of course all the iPhones get poor reception (dons tinfoil hat). ;)

14. Rofl thread starter macrumors member

Was there a significant difference before and after the 4.0.1 update?

15. alFR macrumors 68020

It was after 4.0.1 came out, so I don't have any data from before that. I'm not down there that often, sorry! FWIW I didn't see any change at home (Liverpool area) before/after that update.

16. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Count yourself lucky, I NEVER get above 2 bars, but then again i've never had a dropped call either so cant complain!