O2 signal strength??? TERRIBLE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stevearm, Jul 28, 2008.

1. stevearm macrumors 6502a

Now I may have only just started using it these last couple of hours indoors... but am I the only one who has terrible signal strength?

I'm inside my house, and generally only manage to get between 1 and 3 bars. My previous jailbroken iPhone (on T-Mobile) always had 5 in the same location.

Anyone else agree?

Is this something that could be fixed???

2. aristobrat macrumors G5

Out of curiosity, are you talking 1-3 bars of 3G service on your new iPhone or 1-3 bars of GSM/EDGE service?

But yeah, every carrier has different coverage. There's probably someone else somewhere near you that had 1-3 bars of GSM/EDGE on T-Mobile that gets 5 bars of 3G on O2. Just sort of averages out like that. No carrier has 5 bars of signal everywhere...

3. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not sure what you mean. I have 3G in my area, it's quite good in London...

I'm using WIFI, which hides the 3G logo, and it's only displaying 1-3 bars. Does that mean that normal GSM/EDGE signal is higher?

4. aristobrat macrumors G5

Ah, I forgot about that T-Mobile overseas actually has 3G. In the US, they've just started deploying it .. it's only in a handful of cities. :eek:

I only get 1 bar of 3G signal at my house. Calls sound crystal clear. Is it just that your data is slower with 1-3 bars vs 5 bars?

5. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok well I've switched 3G off and all of a sudden I have 5 bars. I guess the 1-3 was only 3G which wouldn't impact voicecalls?

I was just worried I'd find it impossible to speak to anyone indoors!

6. Psyxologos macrumors regular

7. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

Anyone else notice that how you hold the phone changes the reception? Suppose that's the problem with having the antenna at the bottom. What worried me is the 3G I had before taking it back (faulty switch) didn't seem to do it.

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Can't believe you're moaning about only having 3 bars of 3G service. Where I am I get 1 bar of GSM service.

Just to clear this up - your phone receives multiple signals - from 3G and from GSM which also carries the EDGE signal. If the 3G signal is strong enough then you will see the phone switch to that, but if it's not then it will throttle down to GSM.

9. philgilder macrumors 68000

less 3g signal bars are needed for voice quality compared to that of edge

so you may get the same call quality on 2 bars of 3g and 5 bars of edge

10. Psyxologos macrumors regular

I have to say one of the main reasons I am holding back from buing an iphone 3G at the moment is the problems with 3G reception. The other problem is the crippled bluetooth.

any idea if the expected firmware upgrade will tackle the reception issue? As far as the bluetooth problem is concerned, I doubt they will do anything, given the fact that INTENTIONALLY crippled it in the first place...