o2 SIM only tethering not possible on old contracts!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TwoBytes, Apr 8, 2011.

1. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

I'm on a great sim only tariff. It's an 2009 tariff with unlimited internet.

I just phoned o2 to see if i could get tethering enabled and they said no, i have to move to the new tariff. This, in the long run would be much more expensive as the new tariffs have limited internet and it all adds up to be more than what i pay at the moment.

Is there any way to get tethering without going a new o2 con tariff? ;)
    I can see why o2 are doing this - they want to move all the old tariffs out as they are the best ones...

Thanks!

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I think you're out of luck to be honest: Basically, any phone operator (not just O2) will grandfather you in (i.e. let you keep) an old style contract when they introduce new ones (otherwise they'd have to let you cancel without penalty). However, as soon as you want to change anything on that contract they have their way out of allowing you to cancel and will insist you move to a new contract (or stay exactly as you are)

3. WelshBluebird macrumors regular

As above I doubt you'll be able to, as they'll just lump you onto the new tariffs instead.
    I'd say just jailbreak it and use TetherMe (or whatever you want).

4. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

they use to offer a bolt on and stopped!

Bas*%$ds... tempted to JB...

5. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Is there a way to active the hotspot without JB via changing the APN?

I hear the only difference with hotspot is o2 send a carrier file and it's done... there must be a way to get the file?

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Even if you could active the hotspot without the bolt-on / correct tariff (which I'm not sure you could) it wouldn't help you a great deal as the iPhone uses a different APN when tethering (modem.o2.co.uk rather than idata.o2.co.uk) so as soon as you use it, O2 would know and you'd be moved to one of the new tariffs or charged an extortionate per MB cost. This would also be a problem if you jailbreak and use something that just enables the built-in mobile hotspot
    See attached screenshot for proof that they track the different APNs on your bill (I do have tethering enabled on my account)

Attached Files:

7. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes