O2 sim swap question.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yegon, Jun 24, 2010.

1. yegon macrumors 68020

This is strange.

I got my new iphone with micro sim, did the swap procedure online, and it sent the 6 digit authorisation code to my NEW sim card. Is that right?

My new sim appears to be working, but when I get to the "enter 19 digit sim serial code" page it rejects my serial number as incorrect, when it definitely IS correct. Now, my sim is working already, I've just made a test call, but obviously I didn't get to the "Finished" screen on the o2 page.

It's still in the full size sim body, should I now pull it off and put it in my new phone regardless?

2. mattydee87 macrumors regular

Nope that's wrong. When I did mine, my current sim got the code which I put in the web site. Then I put in the SSN of the micro sim and it switched over in about 6 minutes... If you put your number into the web site and you got your text on the new micro sim then surely it's already swapped over? Did you upgrade in the O2/Apple store?

3. yegon thread starter macrumors 68020

Upgraded in the O2 store, and it sent the code to my NEW sim. In fact, the moment I clicked send code, my old sim went to no service. My new sim is working fine in my new iPhone, but I never managed to submit my new sims serial on the O2 site. Strange.

Thanks for the response anyway, murder getting a response on a launch day :)

4. mattydee87 macrumors regular

Well if your old sim is dead and your new one is working maybe O2 automatically did it when you upgraded? Either way enjoy your new iPhone :)

5. yegon thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah, looks like it, but she did stipulate I needed to do the swap online :confused:

Anyway, it's working and I'm happy!

..and crikey, they weren't kidding about the screen, ooh baby!

6. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

How did it send it to the new sim? you don't enter the sim number till after that do you?

7. yegon thread starter macrumors 68020

I don't understand it either. I put my mobile number in the website, waited and waited. Tried it again, and then my old sim went dead. Put new one in, voila 3 texts from o2, all with codes. I then entered the latest of those, after which it asks me for my new SIM serial, which it then rejected. Very puzzling.

8. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Did store take your current number when they gave replacement sim?

9. yegon thread starter macrumors 68020

I presume so, it was part of the information I gave them initially anyway. She did stress I needed to activate online though :confused:

Its working anyway, heh.

10. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Is only way I can see it could have happened, is if number got registered on their system when they gave it, otherwise how on earth would they know what sim to transfer your number to.

For my they just gave me sim without checking any of that stuff. ( PAYG )

11. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

I've been witing for three hours for mine to activate. First in store. The guy at o2 told me he was going to activate it. I am left staring at "waiting for activation" when I try to sim swap it will not accept the sim code.

To top it all off wifi wont work with my sky router.:mad:

Love the phone though.

How long did everyone have to wait for activation?

12. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

took a few seconds, about hour and a half ago.

13. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

I must be doing something wrong.

14. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

There is a sim in the phone? think it will only activate with a valid sim of some sort, not clear from description if that's case or not.

15. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

I was using my old 3G sim in another phone. I have a new micro sim in the 4.
    Edit: I had the sim out of the phone to copy the serial numbers. I tried a few times and not it says I have reached my limit for the day. sim is back in phone and just says awaiting activation.

16. Kevrani macrumors newbie

I can't activate my micro SIM either. I've double and triple checked, but it just says there is something wrong with the number :(

17. johngrant75 macrumors member

johngrant75

Ditto, rejects my 19 digit code although it is correct. Help!

18. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Either got the wrong type of sim, or missing the fact that the start of number they give you has the first digit from the second group of numbers too. I missed that at first.

19. benfurneaux macrumors newbie

I have exactly the same problem, except I tried 3 times and now they're telling me I have exceeded my allowances of tries and have to do it tomorrow.

TOMORROW...

WTF! I did everything right (quadruple checked) and because their service is **** I have to wait even longer.

Furious.

20. benfurneaux macrumors newbie

"Sorry, you have already requested the maximum number of codes for today. Please try again tomorrow."

21. boyced macrumors member

where do you get your sim from? can you use any micro sim then transfer your number to it?

22. benfurneaux macrumors newbie

Saw this on Twitter:

"If your SIM swap serial number is rejected, it's probably because the o2 shop made the switch already for you. Check with CS. #o2 #iphone4"

Not sure if it's right or not. *sigh*

23. Iggy macrumors regular

The girl in the O2 store also told me I have to do the sim swap thing online too. I tried three times and then it wouldn't let me try any more times. Then I turned the new iPhone on...it works! They must have done the swap in store.

24. johngrant75 macrumors member

johngrant75

My situation is that ive gone through the swap process 3 times, the code declining each time.

Ive now had my max. number of codes, must wait until tomorrow (wtf?).

New sim put into iPhone 4 after reading others reports, No service. So mine HASN'T been activated in store and I can now not try again until tomorrow.

Any ideas? (o2 phone lines are jammed!)

25. benfurneaux macrumors newbie

I got locked out the system too, yet after turning my iPhone on and off again it has activated! Patience and a restart should cure most people's woes :)