O2 Simplicity iPhone upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Petoz, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

Hi. I am currently on an O2 simplicity contract, and really want to get the iPhone 3G on July 11th. But I do not know whether I can instantly change contract and get the iPhone, or whether I have to cancel the simplicity contract, and take out a new one for iPhone.

Any ideas? If I had to cancel simplicity, and start a new contract, I would not have the same number. But would my simplicity sim work in the iPhone 3G? Does anyone know how the upgrade would work? The O2 site only has good information for current iPhone users, not other O2 customers.

Thanks

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I don't mean to be rude, but surely the best people to ask are o2. Opinions from people here don't mean a thing, o2 will tell you what you can and can't do.

Simplicity is a 30 day notice contract I believe, so whatever the case you shouldn't have to wait long or have too much problem moving over. o2 should be able to clarify your best route to 3G iPhoneage though.

3. Petoz thread starter macrumors 6502

Petoz

Not rude at all. But I phoned O2 and the guy I spoke to didn't seem to have much of a clue. He told me to order the iPhone about a week before 11th July. I am pretty sure that won't be possible. So I just posted on here to see if anyone had any better idea.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

^ Typical clueless idiots at phone companies. You may find you have better luck with real answers if you try again nearer the time. Employees themselves are possibly still waiting on full information of how everything will work for different situations.

5. Petoz thread starter macrumors 6502

Petoz

Yeh, thats what i thought. But figured I would try my luck on here. I'm just impatient and want to get the iPhone ASAP. :D With my right phone number. And not paying two contracts at once.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Everyone wants information. Unfortunately it seems to be sparse. Because info is so flaky it's really not even worth believing what you might hear from someone here. Until there is a solid line on policy directly from o2, it's all just here say and speculation from random uninformed people on the internet, fed by random uninformed people at o2.

7. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

And you are a moderator? Think about what you have said here.

This is a forum for sharing information. If I ask a question about an Apple, should I just call Apple instead?

The recent attitude of the mods to shut down conversation through saying things like "search is your friend" or by endlessly combining threads is alarming, but your comment to this poster beggars belief.

When people start a reply by saying, "I don't mean to be X, but...", they usually know full well that X is exactly what they are being.

The OP asked a perfectly valid question that is appropriate for this forum. If the responses given in a forum like this don't "don't mean a thing", then why read or respond, much less serve as a moderator?

Sorry, but you really asked for it here.

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Nice to see you've leaped in to take offence even though the person asking the question hasn't at all, which is just as well seeing as my response was more than fair, makes sense, and was not aggressive in any way.

Most of the time there are real answers to questions based on fact from Apple/experience/whoever, at the moment pretty much everything is up in the air. If anyone wants to know anything for sure, the only people to answer are Apple/o2.

Do you have anything helpful to add?

9. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I think what I offered is actually helpful, that the OP should feel fine about posting here.

People ask and get good answers all the time here to O2 and AT&T questions. Whether this one will or not, I don't know.

Take a look at your avatar. It is very in keeping with your initial response. I think you can well understand the validity in what I said in my original response so I won't go into it again.

Sorry, but it is just amazing that a moderator would say this. Says a lot for what you think of this forum and its membership.

Have a nice day.

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Excuse me, have I done something to upset you personally somewhere else somehow? I can't for the life of me figure out your sudden attitude toward what was a perfectly innocent response to a question. It's completely irrational.

I gave my take on the members best bet to get an answer that would help their purchasing decision, you can feel free to give yours. There's absolutely no need for you to go out of your way to get up in arms over nothing what so ever, and wind up derailing the thread completely because of your own petty problems with my suggestion.

Stop harping on about my position as a moderator, it has nothing to do with this. I'm just here trying to help someone. You just seem content to stir trouble.

I hope the OP finds the answers (from somewhere) they're hoping for, I hope you get out on the right side of bed tomorrow.

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Interesting... I didn't find E's response to be rude or demeaning at all, and apparently the OP didn't either. They seemed to having a perfectly normal and reasonable conversation.

Not understanding the indignation here, but whatever

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

12. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

I can see netdog's point, however he's not distinguished between a question that someone on MR may no the answer to, and the OP's question. In other circumstances (say, enquiring about how to reinstall Mac OS), e would have been wrong to suggest what he did.

Because of O2's current lack of information seemingly internally as well as externally, coming here to discuss the options does have it's flaws - as e rightly pointed out.

It's going nothing to do with status as a moderator, or what a particular individual may or may not think of the membership here.

I would have posted exactly the same response to the initial question, as it is the single, most helpful reply one could give, knowing what information we currently have from O2.

13. Igantius macrumors 65816

I'm in a similar situation myself – a couple of my friends manage Carphone Warehouse stores, so I was going to see what they thought… anything constructive, I’ll let you know!

I’m assuming that we’re both have to give the 30-day notice to cancel the contract, and although we could start using the iPhone, would still financially liable to pay the remaning time on the simplicity contract.

In theory, going onto the iPhone is just the same as going from a simplicity contract onto a monthly contract with a phone – O2 should be easily be able to say what the procedure is.

You will be able to transfer your old number to the iPhone – what happened previously was that it would take up to five days for the number to be transferred once the iPhone was activated and O2 would give you a temporary one.

I’m 99% sure that you won’t be able to use the simplicity sim without hacking the iPhone.

14. Petoz thread starter macrumors 6502

Petoz

Cool. I wasn't going to use the simplicity sim in the iPhone. I am more than happy to pay the required amount per month. I was just wondering if that would be possible, as then it would keep the number, and the contract could be changed at O2's end, without changing sim. But we shall see. Can't wait for an iPhone 3G!!

15. Petoz thread starter macrumors 6502

Petoz

Thanks for all the responses. But I didn't mean my question to cause such fuss. Personally, I was not offended at all, it was a perfectly reasonable response. However, I am not sure it was the single most useful response.

Some people may have had experience upgrading from a simplicity contract to a 12 or 18 month contract with O2. if this is the case, they might know the process. Like whether or not simplicity has to be cancelled, or whether it is automatically changed. This is what I was curious about. The process of upgrade to simplicity. I am sure it will be similar for iPhone. And if so, information, that macrumors members might know, would be useful to know.

16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Not your fault at all, don't sweat it.
    Phew!
    That they may, and if anyone does and can help you out further that would be great. The only thing I would go back to is that things do seem to be different/uncertain with the iPhone, just because one thing applies normally doesn't necessarily mean it will apply where the iPhone is concerned.

As I started out though, you will probably have no problem terminating your Simplicity contract and migrating the number to an iPhone contract. It'll be best to confirm all this with o2 when someone there has the faintest idea what their own policies will be though.