Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ginsters

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Hi guys

Ok here's my plan

I've bought a new uk iphone and there's no unlock available.
My idea now is to jailbreak/activate etc onto a pay monthly o2 simplicity online 20, for £20 a month

Aswell as this I will add the unlimited data bolt on for 7.50 a month

Finally I will sign up to the cloud unlimited service for 6.99 a month

This should give me for 34.49 a month (a whopping 51p cheaper than the cheapest iphone contract) exactly the same as I would get through the legit contract except I would get 400 minutes and 1000 texts the only sacrifice being visual voicemail.
I would not be tied into any contract with o2 either, I could end it whenever I like.

Does this plan sound feasable? and would it work ok?
Is anybody else already running anything similar and if so, hows it been so far?

I would love to hear from anyone who is currently using a pay monthly o2 sim card on a uk iphone and how well its functioning. i.e are there any things that don't work properly.

Cheers guys

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
...the only sacrifice being visual voicemail..

I'm not sure of the finer details, but Visual Voicemail uses data connection, so with unlimited data, it may actually still work.

As for the rest of your plan, I doubt it would work. But you dont know till you try!

ginsters

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
I've read on quite a few threads of people using o2 "non legit" sim cards on uk phones so I really don't see why it shouldn't work. I know the visual voicemail won't work as it is setup by o2 and will only work on legit contracts.

I could really do with some feedback on this before I splash out on an o2 monthly deal.

Cheers

Craigy Boy

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2006
England
Hi guys

Ok here's my plan

I've bought a new uk iphone and there's no unlock available.
My idea now is to jailbreak/activate etc onto a pay monthly o2 simplicity online 20, for £20 a month

Aswell as this I will add the unlimited data bolt on for 7.50 a month

Finally I will sign up to the cloud unlimited service for 6.99 a month

This should give me for 34.49 a month (a whopping 51p cheaper than the cheapest iphone contract) exactly the same as I would get through the legit contract except I would get 400 minutes and 1000 texts the only sacrifice being visual voicemail.
I would not be tied into any contract with o2 either, I could end it whenever I like.

Does this plan sound feasable? and would it work ok?
Is anybody else already running anything similar and if so, hows it been so far?

I would love to hear from anyone who is currently using a pay monthly o2 sim card on a uk iphone and how well its functioning. i.e are there any things that don't work properly.

Cheers guys

The £7.50 web bolt on it not unlimited. It is for 200mb of data a month. I think 3gb is about £30/£35 a month.

I was o2 simplicity and dithered about what to do as I really wanted an iPhone. In the end I just bit the bullet and went legit. I think there's going to be a lot of features added by Apple in the coming months, and didn't want to have to wait for a work around everytime. I can see the appeal of going the simplicity the route, don't get me wrong. I just wanted no hassle, and that outweighed the few quid more I'd be paying each month.

p.s visual voicemail is genius.

ginsters

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
The £7.50 web bolt on it not unlimited. It is for 200mb of data a month. I think 3gb is about £30/£35 a month.

I was o2 simplicity and dithered about what to do as I really wanted an iPhone. In the end I just bit the bullet and went legit. I think there's going to be a lot of features added by Apple in the coming months, and didn't want to have to wait for a work around everytime. I can see the appeal of going the simplicity the route, don't get me wrong. I just wanted no hassle, and that outweighed the few quid more I'd be paying each month.

p.s visual voicemail is genius.

Thanks for your feedback.
My main issue is not with the price of the monthly contract. Its the fact I don't want to be tied in to it for 18 months. A lot of stuff can happen in 18 months and I don't want to be tied to 02 for that long.
The simplicity route is a lot better value for money, double the minutes 5x the texts, and no ties. visual voicemail isn't worth all that.

I just need to know it works before I unwrap this phone!

Cheers

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
If you're that impatient, you might as well open the phone and try out your workaround. If it doesnt work you could always sell on ebay?

fai2

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2007
Go here:

http://hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15849

This will work with OOTB 1.1.2 UK iPhones. I did mine and my wifes last night, bought hours before from CPW.

Enjoy! It is amazing!

Hi I have another questions.
Because I need to use some app that only work on 1.1.1, so is it possible that I get a UK iPhone and O2 sim, downgrade to 1.1.1 but not upgrade back to 1.1.2 and jailbreak it?
Many thanks!

DenniZ

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Liverpool, UK
Hi I have another questions.
Because I need to use some app that only work on 1.1.1, so is it possible that I get a UK iPhone and O2 sim, downgrade to 1.1.1 but not upgrade back to 1.1.2 and jailbreak it?
Many thanks!

simply no. as the downgrade of 1.1.1 just activates the iphone and then you upgrade back to 1.1.2 because its should unlock your iphone for O2 sim cards leaving it at 1.1.1 will make it not work with any sim cards.

n0fixedab0de

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2009
Does anyone know whether redirect charges are included in the Simplicity tariff. I use a free visual voicemail service called HulloMail but it requires redirecting missed calls.

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
You've picked up a 2 year old thread here. However, to answer your question:

1. No, I believe you get charged for call-forwarding to another number.

2. However, O2 are just launching "Simplicity for iPhone" which includes O2's Visual Voice Mail in the bundle (plus lots more). See the iPhone section of the forum for a thread about this, it's near the top

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.