O2 Tethering - Be warned

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by digbyp, Jun 22, 2009.

1. digbyp macrumors regular

fyi

O2 has threatened to disconnect anyone using tethering, as it will be in breach of their contract. “Any use of this particular feature without the purchase of the bolt-on is specifically prohibited under our terms of service,” O2 said. “Under those terms, we reserve the right to charge customers making modem use of their iPhone or disconnect them.”

Full article here http://www.macworld.com/article/141284/2009/06/o2_tethering.html?lsrc=rss_products_iphone

2. SoSII macrumors member

Thanks!! However, seems to me that if one keeps usage to reasonable levels, they won't ever know!!

Anyone??
    :)

3. drpellypo macrumors 6502

100% fact this.

Use your iPhone to tether regularly and heavily, and your data usage will sky rocket. O2 have a trigger when your data reaches a certain limit and when it does they will send you a text to remind you of the TOS stating you cannot use your iPhone for tethering without buying the bolt on.

Keep doing it, and they will send you another message.

Third time they will send you another message and if you continue, they will charge you for every MB used.

That info came from someone I know inside O2 who deals with the triggers that put things in place to message you/charge you. He says it's very very very unlikely O2 will cut you off because they will make money from you when they start charging you.

4. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

See, I'd love to have more clarification on this, but it requires someone to be the guinea pig...

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I'd recommend pulling a decent amount of content (e.g. podcasts) via 3G - would be a decent mask to any tethering, or just going easy on the MB used.