o2 UK allowing preorders?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by monkeydust, Jul 2, 2008.

1. monkeydust macrumors member

Recived an email from o2 last night it reads as follows

As promised, we are writing to you to keep you updated on the next steps to getting iPhone 3G.

iPhone 3G goes on sale on the high street on 11 July 2008.

We will be writing to you again before the 11th with details about how you could place your order. However, we do expect demand for iPhone 3G to be very high so orders will be processed on a first come, first served basis so that we can be fair to all customers. Orders will be limited to one iPhone 3G per customer.

For now, just go to o2.co.uk/iPhone if you would like to look at the iPhone tariffs that will be available for launch.

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

does that not answer your question?
    no pre-ordering at all

3. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

^I'm not sure that answers the question. It is possible some may be set aside for ordering online, in which case, they can still be processed on a first come first serve basis. Also, why talk about letting customers know how to "order" if pre-order wasn't possible? Going into an O2 store on 11th isn't really ordering, it is buying. So if pre-order isn't going to be available, IMO, O2 have worded their e-mail and texts quite wrong. That's what I made of it anyway.

4. philgilder macrumors 68000

well, apple said in internal memos no pre-ordering, no iphones to be set aside (online store is not set aside, it is a different type of store)
    and pre-ordering generally guarantees something. first come first served is not guaranteed

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Link

We will be told how to order online and O2 will deliver by courier etc.
    I suspect just like my previous cellphone upgrades (pre iPhone) have been. Apply online and receive it by courier in a day or two. I can't see why O2 would want to change that system.

Also remember that O2's prime concern right now is new sign-ups.

It certainly looks as if there will be no pre-ordering.

6. philgilder macrumors 68000

that online order requirement is for current iphone customers only - people on o2 (without iphone) or other networks can go in store

7. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Acck! :eek::eek:

Sorry a bit of a senior moment there. :p

8. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

For existing iPhone users who plan to upgrade this appears to be the case, and it has been suggested that delivery should be on the 11th itself. :D

9. yogamonkey macrumors 6502

yogamonkey

Being a grumpy (but tech savvy) customer as I am, I wish o2 would sort this all out.

If I think about someone close to me, like my Dad, who has an iPhone and wants 3G but has never heard of sites like MacRumors, all he wants to do is walk into an o2 shop and get an upgrade.

Do we really honestly think they will say to him "sorry sir we can't deal with you here, you must go home and do it all online then wait for it to be posted to you". He will probably tell them to poke it, and rightfully so.

Us fanboys and girls get awfully compliant round about this time. As a customer, I don't want to have to do it all online. I don't want to have to be at home for a delivery when I am always on the road with work. Yet o2 say I have to. Big meh from me.

10. Badgerguy macrumors member

It should be fairly clear by now;

There will be NO pre-orders for the iPhone - such a policy would mean O2 stores up and down the country being swamped with calls from people wanting to reserve a handset.

What might be possible (if the rumours are true - but remember we've had NO official confirmation or denial of this), is that customers new to O2 might be able to go and get the contract sign-up done in advance (credit checks, PAC code provision etc) - thereby allowing them to simply go and buy the handset on the 11th, and activate the previously arranged contract.

Such a contract pre-arrangement would not reserve you a handset, or guarentee any kind of special treatment on launch day. You'll still have to queue up like everyone else.

Given the lack of information so far, I'm inclined to think that either O2 haven't yet disseminated all the information to the stores, or they are wanting to allow the stores more time to train their staff before making any official announcements.

It will probably be worth giving your local store a call on Monday to confirm what the plan is for the 11th (ie, opening times for that store, forecasted availability, pre-signup etc).

--
    BG

11. twonga macrumors member

i think that it is such a joke why no concrete information has been released yet!

i mean what is the point in that? no one seems to know what the hell is going on!

12. zed2 macrumors 6502a

I agree.. I suspect that in 2 for 3 weeks you would be able to go in store for the upgrade. I think they are trying to split it up to help reduce the load on the stores.

they have had tones of people sign up on their webpage for the upgrade and I bet they realized that it would over whelm the stores.

--Zed

13. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

There will be no pre-orders. It will not happen (unless you work at o2/CPW and push one down the back of a filing cabinet!)