o2 UK Contract about to Expire

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sparky7, Apr 27, 2009.

1. sparky7 macrumors member

So to those of you whose contract ends soon (mine is 11th may), is anyone planning on changing their tariff?

I've done the o2 upgrade checker on their website and you can select a new tariff on a rolling 1 month contract:

Online simplicity 20
    1 month
    1200 txts/ 600 mins
    plus Unltd Web Bolt On

and all for £19.58 a month, saving £15 a month. Granted you lose visual voicemail and maybe the cloud but I reckon its work it for the saving.

What do you think?

2. soulghost macrumors regular

Great idea......That's exactly what i've done while waiting on the next iphone. And yes, there's no cloud or v.voicemail... but it's a bargain for under £20.

3. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Me too! :D

My tariff expired in March and O2 advised me to switch to the Simplicity 15 (300 min + 600 texts + unlimited webb for £14.69). I'm waiting for an iPhone when OS 3.0 is released (I need MMS) The beauty of Simplicity is that it's a 1 month contract so it costs next to nothing to cancel it anytime.

4. iNash macrumors 6502

iNash

You wont lose the cloud don't worry, but you do lose visual voicemail and 3 way calling but that's all (I think).

I use an non-iphone tariff in my 3G and that's all I've lost, go for it, then put the extra money you save to one side ready for the new iPhone ;) :D

5. chapmac macrumors member

Good to know. My contract is also due to expire in a few weeks.
    I was planning to move to the Tesco mobile SIM for the same reason and these tariffs suit my usage better as the usage is split between voice, text and data.

Anyone know if the Tesco SIM will work without unlocking given that Tesco use O2's network for their service?

6. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I'd give O2 a ring and ask 'em. I've found them to be most helpful.

7. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

I also think you lose the "truly unlimted" Internet as well. Only the iPhone tarrif has this. My Dad has a Pixon on o2 and it wont allow him to stream youtube video, they say his plan doesnt allow it.

8. sparky7 thread starter macrumors member

Well I've just 'upgraded' to the simplicity plan and I've already lost visual voicemail (it calls 901 now), even though my iPhone plan isn't supposed to to expire till mid May - I should get a pro rata refund hopefully, worth a try if your in your last month - click the upgrade link on their homepage.

Youtube still works also.

9. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

All I'm saying about O2 and changing contracts is make sure they actually do it properly, not just on paper at the store you go into to get it done.

It's taken O2 months to correct my bill after keeping me on some lousy tariff I was on before moving to simplicity 15. They eventually started telling me to ignore the amount due on the bills and they'll put the bill on hold till it's sorted out then suddenly without warning, one thursday, I was suddenly cut off. I only got it sorted out last month after paying over £100 by then, they could have sorted it out in January when I went in to enquire about a larger than normal bill and they admitted their mistake!

10. stomer macrumors 6502a

Have any of you tried phoning O2 and asking them to unlock your iPhones?

11. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Don't change tariff in-store! Do it over the 'phone or via the net. That way you get double the texts and they immediately update contract details etc. :D

12. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I learned that that hard way!

13. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

When the 3G came out there were special upgrade prices for the existing iPhone tariff customers. I wonder if you waive that opportunity by switching to O2 Simplicity?

I'll wait until WWDC to be safe (my contract reaches 18 months on 9.5.09).

14. iNash macrumors 6502

iNash

Nope, you still get it.

I am constantly on my phone as it's a work phone and never go over.

15. chapmac macrumors member

Thanks for the heads up. The reason I fancy the tesco tariff is that I'm a pretty light data user (Wifi at home + work and no Edge where I live) so I don't think I'd get value for money out the £7.50 O2 unlimited bolt on, but also don't want to pay through the nose at £4/mb without a plan. The Tesco plan is more flexible and I reckon i can run my phone for £10/month. Planning to use the savings for a 32gb-video-recording-and-what-ever-else-they-surprise-us-with in a few months.

D.

16. John T macrumors 68020

John T

It's Free! :D

17. Stiss macrumors 6502a

18. iNash macrumors 6502

iNash

Yep I wish I had this on my work iPhone it's such a great feature! :(