Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrjarvie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
O2 have done a U-turn and are not going to provide a 'pay and go' service for the new 3g iphone. Massive disappointment. Looks like, once again, expensive monthly contracts are all that will be available.

*Reliable 'inside' source*

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
O2 have done a U-turn and are not going to provide a 'pay and go' service for the new 3g iphone. Massive disappointment. Looks like, once again, expensive monthly contracts are all that will be available.

*Reliable 'inside' source*

If your 'source' is to be believed, I could have guessed as much.

They want as many people on that 18/mth contract, as possible, on July 11th.

... and what better way to achieve this, than to take away the 'cheap' option altogether.

R-Fly

mrhands123

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2008
mmm i wonder where you got this source?? this is a bit of a waste of a thread, because they hope to release it in july, but have no confirmed date.

JH

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
EVERY o2 store has a poster/board in it, saying payg will be available later this year - it is not dumped

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
This is like blaming Apple for falling behind on something they haven't set an external date for...

chrissmash

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2007
Guys as much as I would like to defend apple, you must all believe this is a money making stunt!

Apple make the iPhone cheaper, they will make back 10 times what they have lost and so will O2. They want ppl to be impatient and enter big contract and most likely once they reach a certain amount they will release the PAYG.

Finally the light has shone in my head lol

(pure still buying one like on the £45 tariff)

:p

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Not unusual for places to take care of supplying their high margin customers first, and locking those into contracts.

Go into a car dealership and try to buy a really hot car for $1 over invoice when they are selling to suckers for $10k over MSRP ... they'd probably laugh if you don't have a habit of leasing a new car from them every 12 months.

phalewhale

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
As protest I will be signing up to the O2 iPhone contract, cancelling 2 days before the 14th day and returning the iPhone. I will do this until the PAYG phone comes out, or O2 stop me from taking out any more contracts.
:D

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
Well they will just have to wait for £400 of my business then...

*shrug*

Lets hope O2 give the PAYG options at launch...

Mitch1984

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2005
Telford
I think it's because the PAYG one is going to be the one that's the most vulnerable to unlockers.

People will be buying them in droves and selling them on eBay and then all the people who are intending to actually get them on the proper network would find they'd be out of stock because of this.

I guess they're busy working out other stuff and working out how they'd prevent PAYG iPhone's from being unlocked would take up alot of time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.