o2 UK friends and family discount

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajnicho, Jul 3, 2010.

1. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

Hi

Bit of an unusal question but I currently have an o2 friends and family 30% discount applied to my 3GS 18 month contract which expires in December. I plan to buy the iPhone 4 and swap my sims over. DOes anyone know whether the discount will continue if I dont plan to upgrade or terminate my contract?

Thanks

2. ajnicho thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. Chevenowner macrumors regular

if u upgrade
    your o2 employee have to give his details again our hat ever they do to give 30% discount
    but if u buy pay as u go iphone
    our move to simplicity it will stay there until u cancel ur contract our upgrade

4. ajnicho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks but I dont plan on upgrading, I just want to stay on my current terms

5. drpellypo macrumors 6502

If the person is still with o2 you can have it carried over. They will just need to check he/she still works there. Even if they leave your discount will stay in place until the next time you upgrade.

6. Jomni macrumors member

Hello. i had a similar issue and the discount stays on your account as long as that person is still working with o2.

When you upgrade it just stays on there (no need for the employee number)

If you choose to keep your contract as it is it will stay on there.

7. ajnicho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks,

Can anyone confirm that? My dad is saying that after his minimum contract term ended he couldnt keep the discount. I just want to make sure so I can make an informed decision which way is the cheapest to get new iPhone.

Thanks,
    Andy

8. Stardotboy macrumors regular

Here's my experience:

Got a 3G iPhone on an 18 month contract - 30% off discount was applied

Continued on the contract beyond the minimum term - discount remained in place

Just upgraded to an iPhone 4 - discount was removed, and instead got their new (worse) offer of a one off £125 credit to my account

My understanding is that if you were to get an iPhone 4 without upgrading (i.e. spend about £500 on the unsubsidised handset) you would keep the discount. In my case I did the maths and it worked out better value to ditch the previous discount and upgrade - your experience may vary.

9. ajnicho thread starter macrumors 6502a

I see

See, I wont get the new discount as I was offered the discount from the sales advisor in the store, so even though he didnt know me, he gave me his discount. I would be happy if it just continued..

10. Stardotboy macrumors regular

You'd have to confirm with O2, but according to their website their friends and family deal has changed and is simply no longer a 30% discount - so if you upgrade you're going to get whatever the current offer is (one-off credit).

Also worth bearing mind that you can't swap your SIM cards over directly, as the iPhone 4 requires a microsim.

11. dannyrob11 macrumors newbie

The 30% Friends and Family discount does still exist, however upon upgrading it gets removed and you need to have the O2 employees name and EIN number to get it re-applied.

You can get this done up to 14 days after upgrading and it has to be done in store.

They send a request off to the billing team detailing the name and EIN number you provide and then (in my case anyway) within 24 hours you receive a text telling you the discount has been applied.

12. ajnicho thread starter macrumors 6502a

I see. I already have the microsim, o2 gave me one so i swapped it over online - it's currently in an adapter in my 3GS

I'm not planning on upgrading, just buying the handset for £499 and popping in the sim.

So as long as I leave the contract how it is without chancing the tariff or upgrading I wont need to contact o2 with any EIN number? It will just continue - is that right??

13. dannyrob11 macrumors newbie

Yes you will be fine as you will just stay on your existing contract with the original discount applied with no need to contact O2 for anything.

I ran over on my contract a few months as I was waiting for the iPhone 4 and the discount carried on.

You will also keep unlimited data too!

14. ajnicho thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep, thats what i was thinking. Dont fancy limiting myself to 500mb. The reason I'm only getting a 16gb is because I can use Orb and Air Video and not clog up my phone with vids.

Thanks for the help chaps.