o2 UK future upgrades

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drenk1976, Oct 8, 2007.

1. drenk1976 macrumors newbie

I've tried searching the answer for this, and I'm sure it's there somewhere!

I've now come to the conclusion that I am a gadget victim to the same extent that the lasses in Ab Fab are fashion victims.

Try as I might, I'm not getting away from the temptation to buy an iPhone. What worries me is what happens in 12 months time. I hate 18 month phone contracts because I don't like being stuck with the same handset for 18 months. The iPhone may be the way forward now, but I'll be as bored with it by then as I am already with my N95.

As I see it though, assuming that I want to replace an iPhone this time next year (or whenever) with an updated version, given that they are unsubsidised, I should be able to do that (as long as I pay full whack for it).

I understand no-one could say for sure, but to use a similar situation, if I was to buy an iPhone on 9/11 and on 10/11 it was broken or stolen, could I just pay £269 and buy a new one?

The way I look at it is that you'd still get £87 for a pristine 30gb ipod video (which could be getting pretty old by now) in somewhere like CEX. If I buy an iPhone for £269 in November and a year later get, say, £120 for it, I could live with that, if all I need to do is pay for the new version, put in my SIM, and I'm off. What I'd be less impressed with would be having to pay up £210 to see out the last six months of my contract as well!

2. MacMonkee macrumors regular

MacMonkee

I know how you feel about this - I used to replace my PAYG handsets every year because I'd just get fed up with them. My last 2 phones have been on an 18 month contract and I was very bored of them by the end!

I'm not 100% certain on this, and maybe someone can confirm, but I believe that in America if your AT&T contract was still running you could buy the iPhone and simply start your contract term again. Hopefully we will see something similar for the UK.

Personally I would prefer to pay for a new phone and begin a new contract before the last one was over rather than having to wait for it to end.

3. paulo999 macrumors member

At the moment, if you buy another iPhone, you can use your existing iPhone SIM.

If that continues with future models, then you won't have to restart your contract.

4. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

That would be better than being locked into a perpetual contract with o2.

5. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

I have a feeling that you'll be able to bang in your sim card and it will restart another 18 month contract from that date.

-Leemo

6. drenk1976 thread starter macrumors newbie

I hadn't thought of that. I suppose it's a bit like the way it works if you were on o2 pre-18/09.

Have you thought about getting a job in the Apple marketing department? I suspect Mr Jobs would like the way your brain works! ;)

7. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

What's ironic is that my partner works in marketing, and I'm a journalist - so yes I guess you could say I have an evil mind!

-Leemo

8. paulo999 macrumors member

hmmm... not buying that (at face value at least)... a device can't, itself, make a contract with you like that.

For that to work, you'd have to have screens where you opted in and stuff.

Is that what you were thinking? If not, what? I'm curious. :)

9. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

That's exactly what I was thinking of. Every new iPhone has to be activated, so (I'm guessing) there'll be an option to 'upgrade' your iPhone account with the new spanky iPhone 2.0 when you go to activate your new one. Thereby opting you in for another 18 month contract.

To me this makes perfect sense. Whether it will go that way I'm not sure, but I'm assuming so.

-Leemo