O2-UK: Give me a femtocell!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ct2k7, Jul 26, 2009.

?

Do you want O2 to release femtocells?

1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  3. Don't care

15 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Well, it looks like O2-UK's trial of femtocells last year or the year before didn't go well at all, but it did for rival Vodafone.

O2-UK's reception is best around coasts, according to Ofcom report, but O2-UK CS telephone rep assured me that it's best in London, trust me, he does work there, and I do know him. He commented on my FB status update after I claimed it was awful.

So, O2-UK, I ask, can I have a femtocell, or any plans for one?

I am informed, here : "We've carried out trials in the past however don't have any plans to launch femtocells"

I am dwindling in pain with GPRS and 2 bar signal here [​IMG]

Ok, enough about me, so what about you, do you want to see (femidoms) femtocells by O2?

EDIT: rephrased question, original word kept intact :)

2. allymac macrumors member

I'm going to say don't care, because I'm probably going to get a signal booster anyway - I can't be bothered to wait around. Plus am I right in thinking the femtocell services are single network - this would be no good for us as we have work phones on different networks and we live in a poor signal area - the only strong signal where we live it t-mobile, he's on voda and I'm on O2 for our work phones.

Plus now I've found a decent VOIP service were I can send SMS texts, I don't really need it at home, I have my wifi.

3. ct2k7 thread starter macrumors 603

ct2k7

nice, at least you get some good signal outside... for me, it's still crap outside :(

4. Macjames macrumors 6502a

I've gone for don't care, I live in York and i get full 3G signal outside and 3-4 bars of 3G inside.

5. ct2k7 thread starter macrumors 603

ct2k7

Lucky you. I walked down the street today, still same GPRS :/

6. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Typo? Or random question? Hmmmm.

7. ct2k7 thread starter macrumors 603

ct2k7

whoops, not a Freudian slip, I meant femtocell

8. marra2 macrumors regular

marra2

hey a fellow yorkie !
    I get full 3g too so don't care either !
    And what the hell is a femtocell ?

9. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I'd get one if they released them, my GSM coverage at home isn't too good, calls break up sometimes.

Not bothered about data speeds, I'm on WiFi at home.

10. ct2k7 thread starter macrumors 603

ct2k7

I had a female client calling me, and I she misheard me, really bad signal so what I was trying to saw was distorted.

11. welshy1812 macrumors member

I'd be very glad if they released them, I get awful reception at my OH's, I have to either stand in the toilet or go into the garden to get 2-3 bars of GPRS, anywhere else and I'm dicing with 0-1 bars which is unacceptable really in an area that O2 claim has a good 3G signal.

I know that the coverage map doesn't guarantee a full 3G signal indoors by any means but I'd expect to get decent coverage throughout the house on Edge/GPRS.

12. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

O2 will release Femtocell's eventually as they can't not compete.

And instead of relying on your friend at O2 to tell you they have the best coverage, why not look yourself ;)

O2

Vodafone

I've only linked to two carriers as I couldn't be bothered to link to any others, but you get the idea

13. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

:D

In response to your original question though, I'd get one if O2 sold them.

14. ct2k7 thread starter macrumors 603

ct2k7

Exactly!

Chris, I am aware of both of them, and the Ofcom release. My friend admitted that O2 doesn't have the best coverage, nor did I say that they have the best coverage.
    woot :D

15. allymac macrumors member

Sorry but those coverage checkers are a waste of space. According to the O2 one I should have good voice and SMS coverage. I don't. It fades in and out constantly. I can't make or receive calls. Sometimes it's 3 hours before I get SMSs. Don't quite know how they get away with publishing these guidelines as they bear no relation to actual coverage.

16. Jumpie macrumors 6502a

Jumpie

17. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

I don't care. I cant see myself being with o2 at the end of my contract.

The worst reduction I've seen from o2 is at work. I used to get full 3g signal at work with my N95 and T-Mobile but with o2 I'm lucky to get 3g.

18. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

I meant the Femtocell! haha.

19. ct2k7 thread starter macrumors 603

ct2k7

lol, still. I really need to change that.

20. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't mind one for edge or 3G, I get 1 bar GPRS and nothing! on Vodafone I get up to 5 bars of GRPS... COMON o2!

21. nathanj.massey macrumors newbie

Add your support to this post about Femotcells on Get Satisfaction. O2 actively monitor and respond to issues on their GS page, so if we all let them know how much we need Femtocells because of their ****** coverage, they might get their arses into gear.

22. ct2k7 thread starter macrumors 603

ct2k7

Thanks Nathan :)

23. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Yes, you did.

And the coverage maps aren't completely useless. A number of factors can affect coverage, such as the number of subscribers on the same cell as you, building height and density, as well as construction material, carriers don't normally comment on in-building coverage due to the variation of buildings, even the weather can have an adverse affect.

allymac it depends on your location, but I would suggest you contact O2 and tell them what their coverage map says and what your getting isn't correct and they need to sort it out.

The main point of my post though was to highlight that they can't not compete with the other main carrier offering a product/service that they are not. They will more than likely release something sooner or later, you guys have just got to hope that it is what you want/expect

24. ct2k7 thread starter macrumors 603

ct2k7

I didn't say it was the best, only that it is best around the coasts, not the island itself, according to the Ofcom report. I am comparing both indoor and outdoor to the map, to which it makes no difference where I am.