Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnwin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Hull, UK
So I was 'lucky' and pre-ordered my iPhone this morning, new customer not upgrading.

I've had my 3 emails and o2 have placed a 'pending charge' of £159 on my credit card.

They has still not taken the £ (as of 10pm).

Does this mean I will get my iphone on Friday or not?

Have they actually taken the £ from anyone yet???

mailliw

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2008
I have. Twice. For one order. I placed it at 8.10am, it went through fine, yet O2 say mine is "out of stock" and I've missed the first shipment.

Farce

johnwin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Hull, UK
I have. Twice. For one order. I placed it at 8.10am, it went through fine, yet O2 say mine is "out of stock" and I've missed the first shipment.

Farce

Have they credited it back?

Farce

did you get all 3 emails?

mailliw

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2008
They won't credit it until I receive the iphone; til the first order is fulfilled. Then I have to prove it with a statement, or probably some marrow from my left knee. Oooooh they make me angry.

Yep, got all three emails.

johnwin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Hull, UK

Farce

Does the o2 site still show your order as 'in progress'?

They won't credit it until I receive the iphone; til the first order is fulfilled. Then I have to prove it with a statement, or probably some marrow from my left knee. Oooooh they make me angry.

Yep, got all three emails.

They can't do that. Cancel the whole order and demand your money back.

ddk121

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
Wales, UK
I have defninetly been billed :confused: Well, £99 has been taken, and I cancelled earlier after changing my mind. Will this £99 be put straight back on?

johnwin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Hull, UK
I have defninetly been billed :confused:

That's good isn't it? My £159 is showing as 'pending' on my Cap One credit card - I just want it to show as gone - that way I feel o2 actually owe me a phone then :rolleyes:

I have defninetly been billed :confused: Well, £99 has been taken, and I cancelled earlier after changing my mind. Will this £99 be put straight back on?

May take 24 hours or so

johnwin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Hull, UK
Ok, so was this charge just a pending charge?

mine is - I paid by credit card - I don't know about yours. If you paid by debit card I do not think they have such a thing as 'pending'

Pending charges are like when you book a hotel room by credit card - they basically reserve £100 or what ever on your card that they can call in if you don't show up on the day. It reserves their bit of you credit availability.

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
I don't think anyone will be actually "charged" until the phone ships. O2 can't charge for an item thats not yet despatched. Even then, if you paid by CC the charge wont appear until a few days later.

johnwin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Hull, UK
I don't think anyone will be actually "charged" until the phone ships. O2 can't charge for an item thats not yet despatched. Even then, if you paid by CC the charge wont appear until a few days later.

that's what I thought but some here are saying they have been charged (some times more than once!)

reputable sellers only bill upon shipping

johnwin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Hull, UK
Erm, Yes. That's how ordering online works.

From this forum and others (including the o2 one - I'm surprised o2 don't pull down some of the posts there but credit to them for not doing so!! :) ) I do think that if you have got as far as the 3 emails, an 'in progress' status and a reserve placed on your credit card you have passed credit check and will get your order.

Not sure this means your order will arrive on Friday but I do think it means the order will be fulfilled.

Erm, Yes. That's how ordering online works.

ok, ok - gotta keep calm!

Just checked my credit card transactions on line. Since I ordered the 16gb at 9:28 yesterday morning I have had a 'pending' charge of £159 showing up on my credit card (CapOne).

Just checked tonight (3 mins ago) and the transaction has gone through!

Now as o2 are reputable trader I *know* that they do not take the money till they know they are shipping the goods

The o2 order tracker is still showing 'in progress' BTW

I night need Friday off work after all!

If not I'm just gonna watch the TWiT.tv coverage by Leo Laporte and SULK

Aravintht

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
London, UK
MODS please read this and remove if i am disclosing too much info

my order went through o2 3 times, first 2 failed and last one i got a ref number which still shows in progress.

on my bank account i have three charges that went through that required authorisation at 7.54am, 8am and 8.14am yesterday and one that has gone fully through today at 2.57pm. so o2 have taken £59 from my account (against the law as the items have not been shipped yet)

and have a hold of £59 x 2 on my account

i can't cancel the two £59 on my account according to my bank and o2 say they have no record of a single charge to me and even though my status says 'in progress' and i have an order number - they no nothing about my order...

so potentially i have lost £59, have a hold for £118 on my account and an order ref number which o2 know nothing about...

any ideas what to do?

mailliw

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2008
MODS please read this and remove if i am disclosing too much info

my order went through o2 3 times, first 2 failed and last one i got a ref number which still shows in progress.

on my bank account i have three charges that went through that required authorisation at 7.54am, 8am and 8.14am yesterday and one that has gone fully through today at 2.57pm. so o2 have taken £59 from my account (against the law as the items have not been shipped yet)

and have a hold of £59 x 2 on my account

i can't cancel the two £59 on my account according to my bank and o2 say they have no record of a single charge to me and even though my status says 'in progress' and i have an order number - they no nothing about my order...

so potentially i have lost £59, have a hold for £118 on my account and an order ref number which o2 know nothing about...

any ideas what to do?

I'm in the same boat; they charged me twice. Easiest thing to do is ask your bank to file an indemnity claim against O2 or just fax them your bank statement (print it off online) with a covering letter explaining it. It's apparently illegal for O2 to do this, but frankly I think it's less hassle for me to just sit and wait for the iPhone to arrive and then file for the refund.

Aravintht

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
London, UK
I'm in the same boat; they charged me twice. Easiest thing to do is ask your bank to file an indemnity claim against O2 or just fax them your bank statement (print it off online) with a covering letter explaining it. It's apparently illegal for O2 to do this, but frankly I think it's less hassle for me to just sit and wait for the iPhone to arrive and then file for the refund.

spoke to my bank, they said they can't just cancel the two, they will have to cancel all three...not worth the risk

will wait till tomorrow afternoon and if my status is updated to out of stock i will tell them to do the claim.

AnonymousOne

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2008
London
Im pretty sure that whenever I've bought things online, whether it be some clothes or some music equipment, I've been charged straight away...I do pay by debit card though so that may be the difference?

glanv

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008
Transaction hit my account today for £159.99, referenced to Monday 7th. So looks like O2 processed it straight away!

I have had mixed experiences when buying stuff online - some took money immediately, others took it when the goods were dispatched.

I'm hoping this is good news, but having read a few posts regarding O2 taking money and then saying "won't get iPhone on Friday" I am not holding my breath. However, I do believe we (well, most of us) are getting a bit too anxious and should just see what happens today. As we should find out if we are getting delivery Friday this afternoon.

Ancient Imhotep

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
London, UK
Guys,

I run several online stores for a company and basically you are allowed to take the money from a credit or debit card provided that you have the intention to ship the goods.

So in this case O2 know that they have the iPhone available to ship and therefore are allowed to the money from people that they know they will be shipping.

The normal way a website works is that when you place the order they take a Deferred payment either for a small amount (£1) or the full amount. By doing this it allows them to carry out the security checks and verify the card will actually process. Once they have a deferred payment then this holds the money on your account and means you cannot spend the money elsewhere.

Once they are starting to process the shipments then the company will release the deferred payment and actually charge the card in question.

This is why you will notice if you order from Amazon that the money will disappear from your available balance immediately after placing the order, but that it might not actually appear as a transaction until a couple of days after it has shipped.

A deferred payment will reserve the money for a certain period of time, depending on the bank or card issuer. Once this time period has elapsed if the transaction has not been released by the company you are buying from then the bank will automatically take the money back from them and return to your bank account. In most cases this is only something like 5-6 days.

So for those that tried to place multiple orders which did not complete, if you got to the part where you put your card details in you will have multiple transactions on your account, however only one of them should actually be released and appear on your account fully. The rest will just return the money to you at some point.

Hope this helps,

Jowl

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2006
UK
Yep, it's now showing up on my card as charged.

So I better get an iPhone! Still no e-mails and track my order showing as in progress. I would hope I do have one as I ordered about 9am on Monday. (if not before)

johnwin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Hull, UK
I got the following email from o2 this morning in response to a query I entered via the online tech support. I asked if I would get a phone on Friday:

Hello John,

Thanks for emailing us about your order (on-00xxxxxxx).

Your order for the 16Gb iPhone 3G has passed the necessary credit checks. The iPhone 3G will be in stock on 11 July 2008. Your order will be completed on a priority basis and this is why I'm unable to tell if you'll receive your order on 11 July 2008.

Please reply to this email on or after 11 July 2008 to discuss the status and delivery of your order.

Please visit our website using the link http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone for the most up to date information on iPhone.

Important - When you email us please provide: your date of birth, postcode and mobile number as it helps us answer your query faster.

Kind regards,

Sushil Sharma
O2 Customer Service.

Getting your query right the first time you email us is very important to us. If your query has not been resolved this time, please reply to this email with the words 'Need More Help' in the subject field.

Telefónica O2 UK Limited, Registered in England No 1743099. Registered Office: 260 Bath Road, Slough, Berkshire SL1 4DX.

Totally useless. So they will not get the stock until the 11th? Will anyone receive a phone on the 11th then? They need them on the 10th latest to be able to ship them overnight!

And they basically say 'don't bother us until the 11th you t*sser'

Not happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.