O2-UK HSPA network speed increase, June 2008

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Saladinos, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

From Wikipedia:
    O2 launched their HSDPA services across the UK in the third/fourth quarters of 2007 following an extended trial period, during which compatible devices were introduced. Coverage extends to most of O2's 3G footprint. Initial download speeds are 1.8 Mbit/s (peak), increasing to 3.6 Mbit/s (along with HSUPA) in June 2008.​

Not that we needed any more confirmation of a 3G iPhone. This does at least suggest immediate or close availability of the 3G model.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I've used some of Telstra's newish (6 months old) 7.2Mbps 3G kit when helping customers set it up due to the woeful support from the big T - it's bloody quick.

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

With that thinking then, this article or ones prior were pointing to the 3G launch date ;)
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/09/o2_3g_hsdpa/ i guess it shows that O2 is ready for a more mainstream HSDPA/HSUPA device. If you look at the actual coverage it's more City areas, but if they have any brains, they'll really ramp up efforts to get HSDPA coverage along commuter points - motorway stations, train stations and the like, alongside any plans to push the faster forms of 3G to the less high population density areas of the UK.

4. mmoosa macrumors 6502

mmoosa

you know what? i seriously doubt O2 would spend such a fortune just for the iphone, the iphone probably influenced their decision of upgrading the network, but O2 is a business after all, large outputs aren't very good especially when the income iphone is giving them isn't all that.

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

And if your future electronic device just happened to need WiMax/LTE/3G/HSUPA/HSDPA, Apple might nudge you in the direction of O2.

You'd be suprised by how much the iPhone is helping O2. They're the current UK market leader on data afaik in terms of usage, and their sales have been decent. A possible Halo effect too.

6. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

even more so right now when people go to the o2 store to try and get an iphone and then end up getting another o2 phone as it is out of stock

7. mmoosa macrumors 6502

mmoosa

hmmm...true, but i still rather stick to vodafone, the business deals and customer service is superb, i don't know how it is over at O2 but my parents have never ending problems, so i stay far far away, especially being bound to an 18 month contract and of all carriers O2.

How has your customer service experience been?

8. Project macrumors 68020

I've been with O2 for 6 years. Absolutely no problems.

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Not bad enough to leave. But then my previous carrier was Orange ;) The help has been pretty good on the whole really.

I'll be interested to see how O2 changes there general data bolt on, as well as the rates for this. I'd love, as previously mentioned, to see the better 3G speeds come to the commuter hotspots. Sure would be useful.