o2 uk - huge signal disparity

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by benfilan, Jul 11, 2008.

1. benfilan macrumors 6502

benfilan

So today my dad and I got brand new iPhones. We've had totally different experiences since activating - he cannot get 'locate me' to locate him (ha) even when 'locate me' locates me (haha) in the same room!

also, when in the same room, he gets edge when i get 3g coverage. doesnt that seem strange?

Other things - i get full bars when he gets one or two. :rolleyes:

2. NewGenAdam macrumors 6502

Whether you get full bars or slight bars is probably to do with if you're connecting to 3G or standard. If you both connected to the same type I think it would be the same. But if not, it would point out some interesting issues some iPhones may have with reception.
    I moved today from Vodafone to O2 and so far O2's reception seems appalling. I just about get 4 out of 5 bars on standard network, but on 3G I struggle to get one.
    Compared to Vodafone where I'm completely full at home on 3G bars. O2 is a really inferior network provider in many respects. I wish Vodafone would have stocked the iPhone instead...
    AND I wish the iPhone would be able to figure out if there's 3G or not, so it's not always necessary to set it yourself. Hoping for firmware.
    End long post.
    After that rant, I'll admit I love my iPhone. I realise now that I was holding it and waving it around during all my conversations today. What a freak - must remember not to but it's just so nice!

3. benfilan thread starter macrumors 6502

benfilan

we are literally sitting a foot apart and I have 4 bars, 3g and he has two bars, Edge. isn't that crazy?

4. AdamInKent macrumors newbie

The 3g and Edge base stations are in different locations, which is why you are seeing different signal strengths.