O2 UK info for existing iPhone users (maybe new, maybe not)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TwiceNightly, Jun 20, 2008.

1. TwiceNightly macrumors 6502

TwiceNightly

Hi guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

Just thought I'd let you guys know about a bit of info I think I may have gleaned from O2. It might not be true but I heard the same thing from bith a rep in an O2 store and then I called O2 and they told me the same thing so thought it'd be worth throwing out there for you guys......

Basically it works like this....

If you're a new customer you can go into an O2 store on July 11th and take out a new contract with an iPhone and get yours there and then.

If you're an existing O2 iPhone customer then your iPhone will be sent out to you by courier (the same way they send replacement phones out).

O2 will be in touch early in July to find out what contract/model/colour you want.

As I say it may not be true, but this is what the guy in the O2 store told me. I then phoned O2 and didn't mention this to the person on the phone, she told me that O2 would be in touch but she thinks it'll work as above.

The potentially annoying part of this is that July 11th is a Friday. If 11th July is the date that O2 send out the phones to us then we will not get them until the next working day (14th July).
    Maybe they'll send them out the day before so that we get them on the 11th but I couldn't get any more info on that.

I hope it's not true, as I myself would like to walk into an O2 store and get one on launch day, but maybe with the demand they don't want shops selling out so O2 customers will have to register and have one sent out to them.

We'll see.....

edit: Just a thought but maybe this way would also sort out all those activation queries too? If you get one on a new contract they activate it for you when you take out the contract. If you're an existing iPhone holder they activate it on your contract in the same way they would a replacement iPhone?

2. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

I don't want a new iPhone. That will confuse them :D

May go for the £30 tariff though.

3. danielforman macrumors regular

Interesting info. Thanks for posting it. If they did this then they would need to send the iPhones out on the Thursday for next day delivery on the 11th. If they couldn't guarantee delivery on the 11th then some existing customers might not be too happy as they would want it on launch day. Personally I would rather walk into a store and pick mine up.

Guess we will have to wait for more info from O2 but would be an interesting way of distribution. I know when leopard was launched it was a 6pm release time in stores. But if I remember rightly some people who pre-ordered it online got it delivered before 6pm by courier so as they got it that day and did not have to wait until the next working day.

The only thing with sending out 3G iPhones for existing customers by courier is how the contract will be reset to the new 18 months. But this should all be revealed soon.

4. TwiceNightly thread starter macrumors 6502

TwiceNightly

I would think that the contract resetting part would happen on the day the phone was delivered automatically, including your migration to your new tarriff if requested?

I don't think it will work as previously with iPhones where you choose your tarriff and activate it through iTunes (including when you get it from the store).

I really do hope they send them out the night before so we get them on the 11th.