O2-UK iPhone 3G Contract - Tethering

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RichUK89, Sep 26, 2008.

1. RichUK89 macrumors newbie

Hey guys!

I've got the 3G in the UK, and I was lucky enough to get the NetShare app from the app store. I use it on laptop when I'm out and about for general use, but I was wondering is there any point blank mention in the contract specifically saying you can't use the phone for tethering?

Thanks, rich!

2. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Yes, it's not allowed under the terms and conditions of the iPhone contract, however I have to say that as an agreement it's terribly written and if I were O2 I wouldn't look forward to taking it to court.

Phazer

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

O2's bundled internet access packages prohibit tethering on any phone (even those that support it out of the box), and they do not offer any mechanism for buying an add-on that allows it (they used to do but have discontinued the add-on).
    The wording of the contract is horrendously unclear, and I had a long dialogue with O2 customer services and the CEOs office about this very issue.
    They were very clear in their replies though - it's not allowed and if you want to use O2 network for laptop access you have to get a USB modem from them. They won't even let you add the monthly modem plan onto the cost of a phone plan and do it that way!
    If they catch you they'll charge the per MB rate (think it's £2.00) for all your usage whilst tethered, which could be very, very expensive