O2 UK, iPhone 3G without iPhone tariff - renewing my contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by leez, May 1, 2009.

1. leez macrumors regular

leez

Hi,

As in the title, is it actually possible ? My contract is running out soon and I want to get an iPhone 3G on my current tariff (and maybe sell it). Anyone did this before ? Thanks

2. matttye macrumors 601

I don't know whether you can do it without unlocking, but it's definitely possible with unlocking.

I'm using my iPhone on O2 unlimited.

Edit - you would have to buy the iPhone from someone other than O2.

3. leez thread starter macrumors regular

leez

I wasn't clear enough. It is possible (did that before - iPhone 3G PayGo box + O2 unlimited, then sold my iPhone 3G). All I want to do is to get a new iPhone 3G as a renew of my contract, from O2, but not entering the iPhone tariff.

4. matttye macrumors 601

Ah - in that case it's definitely not possible. You can only get iPhones on the iPhone tarriff, even when renewing.

5. cap'njack macrumors member

Could you not renew your contract, and buy a PAYG iPhone 3g and put your sim card in there?

It must be kinda possible as I've heard of people using the Simplicity Tariff with a PAYG iPhone.

EDIT - Just read your post properly and you wont be able to upgrade to the iPhone 3g and stay off of the iPhone tariff, my friend tried the exact same thing last Sunday.

6. leez thread starter macrumors regular

leez

Ohh, not good, not good....

7. leez thread starter macrumors regular

leez

As I said, I did that before - it's possible. But, being hones, I want to get it for free - as renewing my contract and sell it straight away (still deciding if I want to keep it or not thou) and buy Nokia E71 + have like £100 left in my pocket.

8. matttye macrumors 601

Is there a reason you can't sell the phone without a contract? Someone would be able to buy it and set up a contract themselves, or you could unlock the phone and sell it that way.

9. leez thread starter macrumors regular

leez

Ok, let me explain this step by step :) :

1. I don't have an iPhone now
    2. My contract with O2 is running out (not iPhone tarrif, it's O2 35)
    3. I'll extend it anyway
    4. I want Nokia E71
    5. I'll call O2 soon, to get a renewal and get a new phone, for free
    5.1. I want to ask them for an iPhone 3G, for free, but staying with my current tarrif, not entering the iPhone tarrif
    6. If 5.1 is possible, I'm selling iPhone 3G straight away
    7. After 6, I'm buying Nokia E71 from ebay, and spend the rest £100-£150 on... beverages or something :)
    8. Good business nowadays :D

10. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Not possible

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

5.1 is not possible. If you want a free iPhone, you have to sign up for one of the qualifying iPhone tariffs.

12. leez thread starter macrumors regular

leez

Huh, how sad is that :) ?

13. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I would not have thought this was possible - you can't get a new iPhone without an iPhone contract. Surely you'd have to cancel your existing contract (if it hasn't already expired) and start a new one.
    I'm sure O2 are wise to tricks like this :)
    Why not check out both 'phones and the get the one that suits you best?

14. leez thread starter macrumors regular

leez

I want the beverages !! :D Price difference between iPhone 3G 16GB and Nokia E71 on eBay is like £100-£150. I had iPhone 3G for like 3 months, deep and extensive usage :) - really nice, but I need keyboard, so going for E71, which I'll get through my renewal right now (if iPhone "trick" not possible).

15. matttye macrumors 601

Aha... nope still not possible :D O2 would lose so much money if people could do that!

16. leez thread starter macrumors regular

leez

But it does work with Blackberry Bold hihi :cool:

17. matttye macrumors 601

I would try to find out if it's legal first mate. Getting a contract phone, selling it and then buying a new, cheaper phone to use on your existing contract, all without telling O2, sounds like it may be fraudulent. Also, I believe O2 owns the phone throughout the contract, so it's not yours to sell.

I could be wrong, but I would personally find out - £100 or so isn't worth the trouble it could possibly cause you, even in a recession!

18. leez thread starter macrumors regular

leez

Nah, don't think so. By signing a contract, you're entitled to pay monthly, paying for your phone in total. It's like a loan basically. You get a phone + calls/internet/sms. If you want to cancel it - pay for the rest of the contract = pay for your phone anyway. Didn't see any terms & conditions about this matter anywhere...