[O2-UK] iPhone tethering speeds much slower than 3G speeds

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by applemax, Jul 30, 2009.

1. applemax macrumors 65816

applemax

Hi

Just did a speed test on my iPhone.

The first result is with tethering off, the second with it on.

It seems to me that some sort of throttling is going on seeing as both tests are done in the same place at the same time on the same phone. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Well, when you're tethered, wouldn't you want the speed test to be run on your PC?

Isn't this a bit like if i run a speedtest on my PC when I've got Bit Torrent running, the results are slow because BT is taking up much of the bandwidth that the speedtest would use. Wouldn't tethering be eating up the available bandwidth as well?

3. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

It's irrelevant which device does the speed test - the connection is going through the phone. What these two images show is that when tethering is activated, there is clearly a drop in performance, and to me, it looks like a deliberately throttled connection, whether it's being used on a computer or an iPhone.

While tethering is activated, you can still use the internet on your phone. This test was done with tethering activated, and the computer inactive.

I've emailed O2, but I'm extremely confused as to why I'm losing 2.5Mbit/s and paying £15 a month for the privilege! :confused:

4. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Is your test a fair test?

Did you do three tests and work out an average? If not, do this again, properly, and report back.

5. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

:p

I don't need to do three tests. The difference between the two results is so vast, that no mean average is going to help it. Can anyone seriously help? :confused: :)

6. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

I'd still be interested to know what the speedtest results are when done from the PC tethered to the phone

7. zed2 macrumors 6502a

My question would be while tethered what was the PC doing? Ie was it polling for mail or anything else in the background. Just because you don't think you have anything running doesn't mean something somewhere isn't doing something via the network connection.

8. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

Both tests were done on the phone so it is 100% a network issue.

9. zed2 macrumors 6502a

yes we get that...what we also want to know is what else was the PC doing? for all we know you were downloading via bit torrent or watching BBC iplayer.

10. Kingley macrumors newbie

No it's not.
    The application monitoring the network speed will be sending and recieving data, and determining how fast this is happening.

if you are tethering, any data being sent and recieved on the computer youare tethering too, will not be counted in the application you are using

Or this is at least how I believe whatever your using will work..

11. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

As I have said, the computer was inactive during the test.

When tethering is turned on, the speed grinds to a halt, regardless of the state of the computer.

- it looks like a network issue. How can I fix it?

12. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

I just did a speed test on the computer and it read 101kbps. Something is not right here, and there is extremely little network activity to steal bandwidth from the speed test.

I'm certain that something is regulating the speed as this sudden drop in speed only occurs when I turn on tethering.

13. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax