Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did changing APN settings activate Internet tethering

• Turned on the option but it didn't actually work

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Woomy123

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2009
For the last 3 days 3G on my new iPhone 4 hasn't been working, until 10 minutes ago, I finally managed to get it working by changing the APN settings in cellular data network, from = idata.o2.co.uk, to = mobile.o2.co.uk, what it used to be, but doing this didn't only fix my 3G service it has also activated Internet tethering (which I don't pay for).

Would someone other people please try this to confirm it, come back and post your results

Thanks

emkwan

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2009
Dude be careful. O2 may start charging you for that. I tried that fix for my blackberry few months ago as I hqd unlimited blackberry data service and o2 charged me saying I'd used a different APN.

warrmr

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
hasnt worked for me. The teathering option has now dissapeared from my menus.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
As above change back asap.

Idata = iPhone
Mobile = dongles

Data for both is billed differently.

Woomy123

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2009
Dude be careful. O2 may start charging you for that. I tried that fix for my blackberry few months ago as I hqd unlimited blackberry data service and o2 charged me saying I'd used a different APN.

So what am I to do, as I'm paying for an iPhone contract which has free Internet with it that's not working, but if I change the APN settings o2 will charge for doing so

NickRno77

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
Hertfordshire, UK
Hey have you an iPhone sim?

I have a Carphone Warehouse o2 Simplicity contract for my HTC HD2, I cut down the sim for the iPhone 4.

The o2 carrier settings downloaded to the phone which disabled any data usage. I changed the APN match my HTC HD2 to = mobile.o2.co.uk hey presto I am now have 3g Data. Only thing is this also disabled the Tethering Option.

I was going to switch to three but when I phoned CPW they managed to persuade me to switch to O2 12 Month Simplicity 300 mins, unlimited text, 500mn Data. Which in turn moves me over to o2 for billing etc.

Its strange the opposite is happening to me as far as tethering go's ?

As above change back asap.

Idata = iPhone
Mobile = dongles

Data for both is billed differently.
I think mobile = also Windows Mobile devices, I've always had that setting for every Windows Mobile phone.

Woomy123

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2009

Just rang o2 about changing it to mobile from idata and they said that u won't get charged for this, and if that fixes your 3G problem then do so as they have had people phoning in recently saying that idata doesn't work.

sdm1985

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Hello,

Can anybody confirm if the Blackberry Simplicty works on the iPhone 4 - double minutes for the same price would be nice!

Thanks,

Shawn

logicpro7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
London UK
I'm on o2 payandgo with a unlocked Apple store iPhone 4 and the tethering switch can be enabled.

I did change my data settings to payandgo for my 3G to work.

sdm1985

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Hello,

Can anybody confirm if the Blackberry Simplicty works on the iPhone 4 - double minutes for the same price would be nice!

Thanks,

Shawn

PG-Monkey

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Hello,

Thanks,

Shawn

I would imagine there to be a lower cap on data usage on the BB tariffs? Purely because they don't use as much data. Worth checking before doing anything else.

NickRno77

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
Hertfordshire, UK
Hey have you an iPhone sim?

I have a Carphone Warehouse o2 Simplicity contract for my HTC HD2, I cut down the sim for the iPhone 4.

The o2 carrier settings downloaded to the phone which disabled any data usage. I changed the APN match my HTC HD2 to = mobile.o2.co.uk hey presto I am now have 3g Data. Only thing is this also disabled the Tethering Option.

I was going to switch to three but when I phoned CPW they managed to persuade me to switch to O2 12 Month Simplicity 300 mins, unlimited text, 500mn Data. Which in turn moves me over to o2 for billing etc.

Its strange the opposite is happening to me as far as tethering go's ?

I think mobile = also Windows Mobile devices, I've always had that setting for every Windows Mobile phone.

Hello,

Thanks,

Shawn

Shawn, I would think would be similar as my Simplicity HTC HD situation?

http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/settings.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.