O2 UK micro SIM

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by naujoks, Jun 16, 2010.

1. naujoks macrumors 6502

naujoks

I wonder if O2 UK will be able to get me a micro sim card in time for the 24th.
    I was lucky enough to order an unlocked sim free phone through the Apple page. It's just 8 days away from the 24th and I doubt that O2 will be able to get me a sim card in time. The girl From o2 I spoke to had no idea about the process and there's no update on the o2 website either.

So, the big question is: if I cut down my current iPhones sim card to micro size, will it work?

Opinions please!

2. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

You can cut it into the right size. But its tricky and risky. Im in the same boat as you. I have confidence on o2 being able to get a me a micro-sim in time. apparently you can go to your nearest o2 store and pick one up. The best option now is to keep on calling o2 everyday to see if they have any news.

3. naujoks thread starter macrumors 6502

naujoks

So do we think that if we can pick up a sim card from a shop they'll be able to transform it on the day so that it behaves like my number and not like the one it's originally registered in?

4. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

Yeah o2 have said if you go into an o2 shop, they will sort you out and replace it for you on the spot.

5. sam3020 macrumors 6502a

sam3020

i spoke to a lady from o2 about this yesterday and she told me if you have registered interest in the iphone 4 on the website and it gives you an option for the micro sim and she told me that we should receive one by the 24th. She also said the process to swap your number over is that there will be a form online where you can keep your own tariff and you can just transfer it to the new sim instantly.

Hope this helps

6. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

Yes or this, find the link below.

http://shop.o2.co.uk/new-iphone/aboutsimswap.html

7. germanjulian macrumors regular

i got an email as well from O2 today....

kinda useless, you might get a micro-sim. You will get a micrso sim if you buy an o2 iphone.

That is the only confirmed thing.

8. naujoks thread starter macrumors 6502

naujoks

That link is pretty useless for people in my position (am on current iPhone contract with O2, have pre-ordered SIMless iPhone 4 from the Apple website).
    The link does not provide any option to order a micro SIM for someone like me.
    So let's hope the situation clarifies or as the other poster said I will be able to walk in a shop and get the SIM.
    Won't be a happy bunny if I have the phone in my hands on the first day, but no SIM to load it with!

9. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

+1
    The link asks you questions.
    1) Are you already an o2 customer? Yes/No
    2) Do you already have a micro sim? Yes/No

If you say yes then no (which is my situation) it says 'Buy your iPhone from O2 and receive a micro sim with it.' Absolutely useless. I too have pre-ordered from Apple direct and am now eagerly awaiting information on the micro sim. I'd rather not have to cut my SIM for fear for damaging it and then being left with an iPhone 4, no sim to put in it and no sim for my other phone to use normally.

10. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

I was told by O2 CS yesterday to walk into any O2 store as soon as I want to pick up a micro SIM. So I did this today and the guy told me to come back when the iPhone has launched.

Called back O2 CS and the lady tells me to wait until next week... bloody useless.

11. Bungleaio macrumors member

I went into the Nuneaton shop today and I was told to come back on the 24th as nothing will be ready till then.

12. jhill89 macrumors member

I am in the same boat. I want to carry on my contract but I ordered via Apple for an unlocked 16gb. So are you saying once I have the iPhone on the 24th I can go to an o2 store and they will transfer my SIM contract to a micro SIM? :)

13. jonathanadams macrumors newbie

I think if you pre-registered your interest with o2 you should receive a micro sim in the post before the 24th.

On the 24th you need to note down the number on the back of the sim card and put it into your iphone 4 and connect it to itunes. Itunes will then ask you for your account details for o2 and what number you want to attach the new sim to. You will then need to put the number you noted down into itunes which will change your number over, this will probs take about 24hrs to start working.

So I advise you to carry 2 phones around with you.

I think thats how I read it anyway.

14. naujoks thread starter macrumors 6502

naujoks

I don't think so. Not everybody who will register their interest will go ahead an buy an iPhone. It would be a big waste to send everybody a SIM card, 'just in case'.