O2-UK MMS - iPhone 3.0beta results

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by koobcamuk, Apr 2, 2009.

1. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

OK, so I used the O2 ipcc that's lurking around on the net, with the beta. I can send but not receive. When I phoned and emailed O2, they said they needed confirmation from Apple about MMS and the iPhone.

Basically, they're not turning it on.

I know some people have MMS turned on - seems to be hit and miss as to whom you speak to.

Does anyone have a work around or any more information on this? The current MMS thread is heavily AT&T and is becoming full of waste.

2. RevolutionOne macrumors member

RevolutionOne

I got them to enable it after emailing them about a week or so ago. I called them 3 times but each person kept saying its not available for iPhone.. and would have to wait til the summer. The guy I spoke with said that o2 have raised it with Apple as to whether they can enable it early due to the high demand..

But yeah, after they enabled it, I've had no problems sending and recieving. Just keep trying to make them do it!!

3. RevolutionOne macrumors member

RevolutionOne

Also, I wonder whether anyone has tried asking them to do it in a store. I used to work for T-Mobile (UK) and we could enable it ourselves in store..

4. koobcamuk thread starter macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Not sure about in store... might try next week.

Do you have a copy of the email text? I'd like to send something similar to them to see if I can get it working.

5. Aumz macrumors member

Just phone them and tell then you want it on full stop end of story, you pay the monthly fee.

Who cares if Apple wants you to have it on or not.

If you really do nto get anywhere tell them you are using your sim in another phone and want SMS simple as.

6. baracas83 macrumors newbie

Just call O2 up and explain to them that you have had to send your iPhone for repair, and you used to email your photos, but the phone you are using as a standby doesn't allow that and that you NEED to send them as picture messages! It worked for me.

7. koobcamuk thread starter macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

OK, I will give that a try. Most useful response so far.

8. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

Call O2 customer services just say you don't use a iPhone, but you have a iPhone contract. They will change you over to a normal contract with your standard amount of minutes, any free bolt on (I recommend unlimited internet) and 1000 texts, No free WiFi, but I never used it to be honest.

Took around a day or two to change over, thus enabling MMS.

*Note, you loose ANY notification about a MMS coming on a iPhone <2.2.1 ... Just sign up to bluebook as well just incase you miss any MMS.

9. koobcamuk thread starter macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Would this not mean that you also lose visual voicemail??

Looks like I'll have to phone them sometime. This is just annoying. If anything, it'd earn them money to put me onto MMS.

10. gazzer82 macrumors regular

I have the exact same issue, i can send but not recieve. Previous to loading 3.0 beta i had MMS working fine using swirly mms. I haven't phoned o2 yet, but there is a rather lengthy thread on the o2 forums saying that the phone staff have now been clearly instructed not to activate MMS on iphone accounts, i guess due to the increased quantity of requests due to 3.0beta.

Might drop them an email anyway and try my luck, if anyone manages to activate there MMS in the interim let us know how, where and when!!

Cheers

Gareth

11. koobcamuk thread starter macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I've seen this, but I just don't know exactly why O2 have been instructed to do this. The O2 web portal isn't exactly good for them... how strange.

12. sallythemac Guest

I'm sorry, but all these threads about getting carriers to activate MMS is ridiculous. Why on earth do any of the carriers care if you have MMS activated or not? If you use the feature, it makes them money. They lose nothing. All these ludicrous and extravagant lies/scenarios to sneak it past o2 and get them to activate MMS are a waste of time. Just say you need it activated because you want to send an MMS. Simple.

13. gazzer82 macrumors regular

I completely agree. However if you just tell them you want it activated they will politely tell you to go away.

I have worked in big companies like this in the past and nothing is ever as simple as it should be. There will be meeting after meeting and email after email for months before O2 actually make a proper decision on this. For now it appears they have decided to make it a blanket no to everyone until the powers that be make a decision otherwise.

It royally sucks, but as always who gives a crap about the customers and what they want, they only fund the company.

14. gazzer82 macrumors regular

Just emailed O2 and got the same stock reply that everyone else seems to be getting.

15. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Huh... Probably the reason I don't get ANY mms at all... I used to get the links to the viewmymessage.com or whatever it was, but now I don't get anything... I'm on AT&T

16. gazzer82 macrumors regular

It's all complete bull. I had MMS working on my iphone 3G using swirlymms as well as on my sony ericsson phone. It is only in the last month or so that it has stopped working. I can send but not recieve on both my iPhone and my SE phone, so they have clearly done something.

The most ridiculous part of the whole argument is that despite them stating that it is not compatible (i.e they aren't sure they can charge us for it) i can send MMS messages, and they show up on my bill. I just can't recieve messages, i.e the free part!!

It's madness i tell you, madness!! ;)

17. koobcamuk thread starter macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Exactly. I don't get it. Someone's making an odd decision somewhere along the line. Very strange. I guess if they stick to their guns, then everyone doesn't have MMS and they can just say that's the case - no special conditions.

It's annoying I can't receive.

Gazzer82, when they show up on your bill, do they come out of text allowance?

18. draperm25 macrumors regular

draperm25

Cant you just ring them and explain that you have downloaded the MMS app from the App-store and you would like the notifications turned on. Whats the point of apple having this on the App-store if you cant use it? Or are they just turning it off anyway even if you have downloaded this app.

19. gazzer82 macrumors regular

Gazzer82, when they show up on your bill, do they come out of text allowance?[/QUOTE]

Yes they do, they are charged at four text messages. At least they where the last time i checked, haven't looked for the last couple of months so im not sure if something has changed, hence now being unable to recieve and O2's new stance on things.

Let's hope it all get's clarified sooner rather than later, though i am not optimistic. Need to find me a friend who works at O2 methinks.