O2 UK - The cheek!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jon1987, May 15, 2011.

1. jon1987 macrumors regular

Nice little extra "surprise" from O2 today. After four years of unlimited wifi for £10 a month on pay as you go, they have suddenly limited me to 1gig a month. Any other O2 customers getting this?:mad:

2. iRach macrumors member

iRach

Yep, they've limited it on all accounts I think...

3. jon1987 thread starter macrumors regular

Switching to Tesco Mobile is sounding more and more tempting...

4. binaryblob macrumors newbie

I'm on "Three" UK payg, and guess what... for £15 a month I get "all you can eat" 3G data (that's 80Gb in real terms) data bandwidth. Hang on... Wifi LIMIT? Who can limit what you do through Wifi? Doesn't sound correct.

1gb? 10Gb? You're living in the past :p

PS: for the same monthly price on "Three" contract, they "let you" tether... but I do that on PAYG anyhow, and stuff em ;)

5. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

The Wi-Fi is from BTOpenZone and The Cloud hotspots, not your home Wi-Fi network.

6. binaryblob macrumors newbie

I get that, but seriously - who PAYS for WiFi these days? :p

That's so 2004, when you can use any number of devices (in my case, GingerBread personal hotspot, or whatever it is called) to create your own.

Hey, if you wanna get fleeced, go right for it.

7. Socratic macrumors member

Tesco Mobile is operated by O2. It's only a matter of time before that policy filters down. O2 are probably having capacity issues, which would make them force their MVNO's to implement the same policy.

8. Socratic macrumors member

You don't exactly pay. You load up £10 credit which gets you the wifi use, but you still have the £10 to spend on calls / texts or whatever.

9. kolax macrumors G3

To be honest, I thought I was a "heavy" user, and I thought I took advantage of the "unlimited" data O2 offered back when I got my iPhone 3G in 2008.

Once my contract was up, I moved from O2 because of their 500MB policy. Orange offered a 750MB "Fair Use" policy which meant that if I exceeded it occasionally, I wouldn't get penalised. I thought 750MB was nothing.. and I'd be exceeding it all the time.

Well, my monthly data usage is around 50-150MB. Touching 200MB on very rare occasions. I view videos, browse the web and download apps (that are downloadable over 3G). I'd have thought I'd be using around 30MB a day doing that which would be 840MB a month.

I wish I had gone with Vodafone - they had a 1GB policy, but from what I read, it seemed they would enforce it more than Orange would (with possible penalties for exceeding). Though, I'm never going over 150MB a month these days..

I'd check out how much data you are actually using per month, because you might be surprised by how little you actually use. You may well use over 1GB a month though, but worth finding out your actual data usage.

10. Sirolway macrumors 6502

I was on O2 in January when they started enforcing the 1/2GB data limit. My contract had just ended & I was still paying 35 quid a month.

I moved to PAYG on Three & now get 1GB for 10 quid a month. If anything, the network coverage might actually be better, & it's ALL 3G (no 2G, GPRS, Edge) so you always get a fast connection.

Moving to Three was a very good move & very simple to do - just went into one of their stores & it was sorted in 30mins. The only bad thing I've seen about them is reports of terrible customer service on the phone

11. John89 macrumors regular

GiffGaff

You guys should look at GiffGaff. Small network that runs on O2s towers.

Cheap as chips!!

I'm paying £10/month for 250mins, unlimited texts & web. No data cap...it's actually unlimited!

http://giffgaff.com/goodybags

12. binaryblob macrumors newbie

I have tons of SIMs with them, all up and running. Problem is, they run on O2, who's 3G service is pathetic... and gg can never make their minds up what their tariff is - they keep changing it. They have SOME advantages, alas, data coverage is not one.

13. John89 macrumors regular

Yeah well I've just come from O2 so haven't noticed a difference data-wise. But I do know what you mean...a lot of my friends on different networks consistently faster 3G connections.

To be fair though....I'm not much of a data user. Occasionally checking the footy scores and sending a few emails is about as far as it goes for me.

14. kolax macrumors G3

You'd probably be using 20MB a month then!

There is a few video streaming websites, such as TVCatchup.com that I used during the World Cup last year (back when I was still on my iPhone 3G with O2). During just one day, I managed to get up to 1.2GB! The whole month, my data usage was close to 3-4GB.

While that was rare, I'd love to be able to watch TV while on the go on my iPhone, but the data plans just make that impossible.

I guess if I had unlimited data (with no throttling), I'd be more tempted to do data intensive things, such as streaming TV and music.

15. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

You're probably the reason O2 dropped Unlimited plans.

Streaming video was expressly forbidden under the terms of the contract.

16. kolax, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011

kolax macrumors G3

There was contradicting terms and conditions - ones that didn't apply to the iPhone, specifically YouTube. Streaming TV like I did for the World Cup was against their fair use, I agree.

But why offer unlimited data? If you can't stream video and music - the main reason you'd need unlimited data, then why offer it in the first.

In fact, I remember O2 saying they were going to monitor use of TVCatchup.com and determine whether to block it due to bandwidth. It never got blocked for me.