Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyUKr

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
So i have decided to upgrade from 2g to 3gs. and bought a phone on ebay.
the phone is perfect and works fine with my o2 contract seem card. However I want to unlock it so i can use sims when abroad. Filled the form with O2 i did when i was unlocking my 2g. However O2 said that since the IMEI is registered to a different user they cannot unlock it due to data protection act. they told me to tell the original owner to contact them and do it instead. Any ideas if they have the right to refuse me? I am no lawyer so i am just trying to figure out if i am a bit screwed or if they are being difficult about it.

thanks a lot in advance.

nazuk

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2007
England, UK
the phone is perfect and works fine with my o2 contract seem card. However I want to unlock it so i can use sims when abroad. Filled the form with O2 i did when i was unlocking my 2g. However O2 said that since the IMEI is registered to a different user they cannot unlock it due to data protection act. they told me to tell the original owner to contact them and do it instead. Any ideas if they have the right to refuse me? I am no lawyer so i am just trying to figure out if i am a bit screwed or if they are being difficult about it.

thanks a lot in advance.

Write to the Chief Executive Officer - don't bother with the muppets on the phone. They are trained to give you bull.

Explain your situation, perhaps enclose a copy of your ID, and maybe a receipt from eBay for good measure.

Should do the trick.

Be firm, and take no crap.

Good luck.

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK

thanks a lot in advance.
load of poop I got a second hand 3G via avforums got a free sim card off net stuck £15 on it an unlocked it

pauliphone

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2008
London, UK
The only reason o2 might refuse to unlock for you would be if the original owner has reported it lost or stolen...
Have you tried an o2 sim in the phone? If an o2 sim won't work you have probably bought a stolen phone.
Could it be possible that the person who you bought it off lost the phone, reported it missing then found it so sold it? If thats the case you probably just need to get them to tell o2 that they found the phone then they will unlock it.

EDIT, sorry just reread you post that it works ok with o2 sim, ignore me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.