O2 Upgrade Options..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by carrollf, Jun 10, 2009.

1. carrollf macrumors regular

carrollf

Will this work (as has been suggestedin some other threads)

Buy the iPhone 3GS on PAYG. Swap PAYG SIM from that phone to your existing iPhone 3G and vice versa. Use the iPhone 3GS handset with your contract SIM (keeping all features incl data allowance) and sell old iPhone 3G handset with PAYG SIM in it?

Are there any catches to this such as SIM not being accepted by either phone etc..?

2. Que macrumors 6502

3. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

That's what I plan to do!

4. ascender macrumors 68000

I might do this as well as my wife is looking for an iPhone.

Can you port your number with PAYG or is that only available for contract users?

5. carrollf thread starter macrumors regular

carrollf

Thanks for replies..

I have noticed on the O2 site that some features are unavailable on PAYG such as visual voicemail, call merging or internet tethering. Are these features linked solely to the SIM that is in the phone or are they blocked on the physical phone itself? Will I have to play with the phone settings if I go this route?

6. ascender macrumors 68000

Those features are determined by the SIM I believe as they're part of the service you subscribe to with O2 rather than just being turned off/blocked in the phone.

7. Boblister macrumors 6502a

There might be one problem. Availability of a 3Gs on PAYG. I seem to recall the original iPhone was only available on contract. When the 3G was launched I don't think it was available on PAYG initially, only contract.

8. Que macrumors 6502

o2 website says it's available on payg from launch

9. riko macrumors regular

10. Boblister macrumors 6502a

Well thats something. At least PAYG option is available straight away this time. I would prefer it without the 1 year free internet and a price reduction to reflect that as I would swap my current contract sim into it.

11. Kerching macrumors member

My average bill is 29p below the £50 mark and so won't get the three months early upgrade.

12. limesmoothie macrumors 6502

Until/unless O2 get with the product cycle, I'm not signing another contract. It makes no sense. I'll stay on my current tariff and get PAYG direct from Apple and do the same again in 12 months time.

13. 0B1 macrumors member

ok so ive been doing my sums...
    ive always bought the phones on launch day so i have 7 month left on my o2 contract for the 3G. I'm on the £45 tariff and usually spend way more than £50 a month.

7 x 45 = £315 plus 175 for the 32gig 3GS = £490 to buy out of contract and get new phone on 18 month contract.

PAYG 32 gig 3GS =£538.30

so there's difference of £48 to go PAYG route, which presumably leaves me in a better position to upgrade next time....

hmmm I could also reduce my tariff after 7 months and save £10-15 a month til the next upgrade...

decisions, decisions.

14. jamesaberry macrumors newbie

Or if your contract (18 month) has ended, take the £150 to keep it rolling and use that towards a PAYG phone.

The sale of the old one will leave you quids up overall.

15. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

Ill be doing the same, and I hope many other people do this to kick O2 where it hurts.

16. davidChief macrumors regular

davidChief

Thumbs up

I'm going to buy the 3G S on PAYG and then swap the SIMs between my iPhone 3G and the new iPhone 3G S.

This will leave me with a 3G on PAYG and my contract SIM in the new 3G S. Seems like a good option to me, so long as you're prepared to pay for the PAYG phone (not cheap).

It looks like the PAYG SIM will give you unlimited data for 12 months? Could be very useful. I'll probably give the 3G to a relative with the PAYG SIM and unlimited data.

Seems that O2 are now officially endorsing this as a valid option which is good news.

17. jamesaberry macrumors newbie

Cheaper than paying monthly for it though, which is essentially what you are doing by buying it over 18 months / 2 years