O2 - Upgrade phone when 3G arrives?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JSDonald, Mar 20, 2008.

1. JSDonald macrumors newbie

So I bought a new iPhone at the end of February when I came back from Dubai (where I'd been on secondment with work for 6 months). I needed a phone ASAP so I just got an iPhone because I thought it was helluva cool after playing with it for 10 mins in the O2 store!

After living with it for a few weeks (on an O2 contract - not a bad deal for me as 600 mins/ 500 txts plus unlimited internet for £35 is fine by me), I still can't leave it alone and absolutely love it. I actually don't find EDGE too bad at all as I tend to use Safari for news sites and forums where there isn't a great deal of stuff going on on the screen. And YouTube seems to work fine over EDGE (which is a nice bonus) albeit in reduced quality. But it's fine for watching stuff liek Dragons Den etc!

Anyway, having read about the upcoming 3G iPhone (which, I understand, might arrive as early as June) I've decided that I'll want to upgrade.

What do you guys think the chances are of O2 accepting a contract upgrade if I buy a new 3G iPhone when it comes out and eBay the 1st Gen I'm playing with right now?

2. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I think the precedent was set with 16GB iPhones. You can easily upgrade afaik.

3. JSDonald thread starter macrumors newbie

What was the deal with 16GB iPhones? Just buy another if you were a 4GB or 8GB user and reset the contract with O2?

4. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

No 4GB in the UK but all you had to do was buy the new phone and transfer the SIM. No extension to contract length either.

Someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong.

5. JSDonald thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah I see; wouldn't a 3G upgrade be more difficult though? It wouldn't be a simple case of swapping over the SIM as what about 3G access instead of EDGE etc.?

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The SIM being used in the iPhone is (at least in the US) 3G compatible. Also, 85% of all 3G (UTMS) phones have EDGE support as a backup.

TEG