O2 upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TranceNW, Jul 3, 2008.

1. TranceNW macrumors regular

Hi guys

I currently have the iPhone with O2, i want to upgrade to the iPhone 3G when it is released.

Ive heard its online only. So will O2 post it to me? Then will i need to take it to a store for activation? Or can i activate at home?

Thanks in advance

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

yes, they will post it, as if it were a standard online order
    but when it will be delivered is a different question
    and it will be activated at home

3. danielforman macrumors regular

From what source did you get this info that they will post it? Plus will it be a standard online order and will it be activated at home?

At the moment it is not known at all how existing O2 iPhone customers will upgrade. O2 have not yet posted the details on the website and have informed a lot of people via text and/or email that they will be getting to know shortly about how to go about this.

Until O2 releases details officially everything has to be taken with a pinch of salt as even emplyees in O2 stores and the Customer Service centre are not all saying the same thing. Some say you will have to upgrade online others say you can walk into to store.

Hopefully we will see some details shortly

4. philgilder macrumors 68000

from the o2 website about existing customers:
    well, i doubt they expect you to go in to a store to pick up a phone you ordered online. all phones ordered online are sent out by post

5. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

funny. and succinct.

6. danielforman macrumors regular

Well they don't say explicitly that it will have to be an online purchase that is delivered to you do they? They just say upgrade offer is only available at o2.co.uk. They don't say anything about the online shop.

Things will probably be done different with the iPhone 3G. Maybe existing customers will login to their O2 account and follow an upgrade process through there and then get offered the option to have it delivered or go in store to pick it up with a unique code like they might be doing for new customers who can have early credit checks. Thats why I said they have yet to inform existing customers of the final upgrade process.

In the text O2 sent me the other day it says:

Until O2 post the final details of the upgrade process you can't say for certain it will be an online purchase that will be posted to you. I have heard from some people who have contacted O2 Customer Service to ask about the upgrade process and the reply they got was that you can purchase online or pick up in a store. However as I said some of the details are conflicting as others have said it will be online only.

No one can say anything for certain yet and the OP should be made aware of this. You can't say that it will be definitely an online purchase delivered by post unless you work for O2 and have been told officially that this is going to be the process.

7. philgilder macrumors 68000

^ in response
    well, i guess the reason they make existing owners order online is so they dont block up the store, and allow new users to get it quicker and therefore give o2 more money
    so collecting in store would be pointless, and also more hassle

noone knows the actual procedures, most people at o2 dont know so its all speculation

8. danielforman macrumors regular

Exactly no one knows the procedure yet. But if we did the upgrade online then all we could do is maybe walk into the store with a code and just purchase it and that would take some of the hassle out of having to sort the contracts out in store. Could be served within about a minute or so probably.

Will just be nice to get to know how they are going to do it. But hopefully the OP will be aware now that nothing is official and we are all waiting on O2 for the final details.

9. philgilder macrumors 68000

which are rumoured to be out tomorrow

10. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

.. or Monday

(gotta love the way O2 change their story from one minute to the next :p).

11. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Plans currently are - on the 7th all those who pre-registered interest on the o2 site will be emailed/texted info to log into their account section on the o2 site.

From there you'll be able to order the new iPhone for delivery on the 11th. They're planning to send them out the day before using courier.

You'll also be able to call up the upgrades centre (just 202 from your iPhone) and do it that way, although clearly it's easier and faster to do it online.

And now I'll probably get murdered for putting this on here

from a thread earlier today and I happen to believe him

12. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

We will have to hold your feet to the fire for this one come noon on 11th!! :)

13. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=510188

post 23 you got to believe someone??????????????
    and i remember him from the first iphone launch over here, seemed to know a few things that turned out true.

anyway a week to go chill fellow forums users chill;):rolleyes:;)

14. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

I spoke to four O2 shops on the phone today and 2 said u can come into upgrade and collect your phone and the other 2 said online only...I reckon we'll all have to line up come the 11th first come first serve

15. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Yes, me too. He worked at O2 in 2007 so obviously has contacts there. Reliable source!