O2 won't let me transfer my AT&T iPhone to their network

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Peel, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Peel macrumors 6502a

Peel

I will be moving from the States to London after the first of the year, and sent an inquiry to O2 yesterday asking them for the proceedure for ending my AT&T contract and establishing a new contract with O2 using my current iPhone. Here is the reply I received.
    Making me buy a new iPhone when my existing one is in perfect shape is utterly mad. Does anyone know if there is a physical/functional difference that would preclude me existing iPhone from being transferred to the O2 network?

2. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I doubt that there is any physical difference at all but your iPhone is locked to AT&T whereas the British ones are locked to O2.

3. Peel thread starter macrumors 6502a

Peel

But surely AT&T could send the appropriate code to O2. Or if AT&T de-authorized the iPhone, then O2 should be able to deal with it like it was a new unauthorized iPhone.

4. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

This is the very sucky part about contracts. AT&T will probably not only not let you transfer the phone to their network, but will charge you an early termination fee as well. Everyone wants your money, and situations like this is how they get more of it. I hope they end up being nice about it, but I wouldn't get my hopes up too much.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would get on the phone and deal directly with AT&T first. You probably will find yourself in better hands if you're discussing with people on the phone rather than e-mail that way any questions that may arise, such as the dense notion that you have to buy a second phone, can be asked and answered.

6. Peel thread starter macrumors 6502a

Peel

Actually when I talked to AT&T they seemed very reasonable. Because I'm moving outside of their coverage area (they do ask for proof of the move) they will end my contract without a fee, and in doing so they said that the iPhone would be de-authorized. So it seems to be only O2 that isn't being nice.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

8. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Well that's a very good start at least. I'm sure if you do this long enough and end up talking to just the right person it will work out ok.

9. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

That's very understanding of them but I would be suprised if you get a similar approach from O2. They are more likely to be inflexible and avaricious, wanting more of your money for a new iPhone. You could always unlock it, at least possibly to the point that you could use it with a non-iPhone O2 sim card:

http://www.iphoneunlockuk.com/

10. spinstorm macrumors 68000

No promises that this will work BUT as I understand it IF your iPhone is on firmware 1.1.2 which is the latest update... Then IT will work with an O2 SIM.

My understanding from reading the technical stuff on other sites is that the latest firmware unlocks the iPhone for SIM cards from iPhone networks in countries where it is available, ie O2, T-mobile, Orange - the phone will accept regional SIMs from those countries.

Of course you will have to activate it in iTunes and sign up for a new contract but in theory your iPhone should still work. Of course you need to get a contract O2 SIM that has not been used which may be hard!

11. sparkyms macrumors 65816

12. samab macrumors 6502a

The US iphone only has a FCC certification logo, it does not have a EU logo.

AT&T doesn't have to unlock your iphone. O2 doesn't have the unlocking codes because they didn't sell you your US iphone. Apple doesn't care.

13. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Welcome to Apple's new Cell Phone World.

The AT&T iPhone is only for AT&T. The O2 iPhone is only for O2.

Legally, you will need to reset and sell your iPhone here. Move to the UK, prove to AT&T the move to release your contract, then, by an O2 Phone.

14. macaron1 macrumors member

macaron1

Wondering what purpose the PAC code you quote serves?

If they don't let you use the existing phone, why authorize a port?

I'm practically in the same situation, moving to London from NYC at the end of January. Haven't talked to either AT&T or O2 yet.

15. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

You could also consider emailing the heads of AT&T or O2. I think the most you'd get out of anyone is a no fee out of your contract though. If you could get that though you could sell your U.S. phone and buy the UK one.

Also remember I'm sure in the UK, like here, you could get yourself a free O2 phone (whatever they give away there) to sell or something, and then replace it with a new O2 iphone.

16. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

No, they've been wise to this trick for a while now. If you do it this way round it will cost you a couple of hundred pounds to change to an iPhone contract.

17. merlinmagician macrumors member

Slightly on the same theme but a little advice. Your hardest thing in moving to the UK will be passing the credit check.

The US and UK credit agencies don't talk to each other and you will be completely unknown in the UK when you arrive (in terms of credit history).

My experience is that you will find it very difficult to get any mobile phone contracts or credit cards etc. I moved back from the US 2 years ago and had a lot of problems re-activating my dormant credit file. It took a good 6 months before I could get a mobile phone.

You might find the best thing to do would be to jailbreak your existing iPhone and get a Pay as you go sim over here.

Sorry to be negative on your move over. I have moved internationally a number of times and know that there are a few hurdles to overcome the biggest one being the credit checks. Its a fantastic opportunity to move internationally and you won't regret it.

18. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Fortunately, the FCC, CE, CRTC, etc compliance statements and logos are mandatory for a product to be sold, not to be used. You could even potentially build your own handmade cell phone in your garage, and as long as you take care to ensure it conforms with relevant standards, you'd be able to use it without landing yourself in any trouble at all.

However, if it can be demonstrated that any electronic device is causing harmful interference to other equipment, then it can be confiscated and you (the end-user) my face a fine or other punishment, regardless of whether or not it happens to carry any particular regulator's logos.

Alas, very true. You're in the unfortunate position that you are totally at the mercy of the service providers' whims to decide on their own how (or whether or not) to cater to your situation. A little civilized telephone negotiations never hurt anybody's chances though.

19. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Interesting. AT&T still lets us do it here. After all, you're suppose to be able to upgrade to iPhone, whenever you want.