o2's Fair Usage Policy Answered.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BuxtonUK, Oct 15, 2007.

1. BuxtonUK macrumors member

Just for those who are unclear as to how much data you can actually use on your iPhone 'unlimited' plan it's 200mb per day, or roughly 1,400 pages. So obviously over a calander month this equates to around 6GB of data.

For those thinking it was 200mb per month, you can all relax.

2. GreasyWeasel macrumors member

I think you'll find that that 1400 pages per day is shared between your allowed edge and wifi (the cloud) access. The edge allowance is significantly less than that.

3. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

It is 200mb per month over EDGE, but it's fair use. They won't moan unless you constantly go over 300mb, then they'll lower your speeds and give you a warning.

They won't, however, just start charging you without telling you beforehand.

It's definitely not 6gb though.

-Leemo

4. zevot macrumors member

[​IMG]
    hi i m new here...n ofc i m not suspectin ur credibility but what's ur source of info? direct email with o2? mb iphone's plan different with that shown in pic?

5. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

This o2 "unlimited web" is a bunch of lies. They have 2 plans one that is 200MB monthly allowance and one that is 2GB. I hope o2 gets sue over it and looses. I hate when companies just lie like that to the consumers. i get 20-40MB a day of e-mails, in 10 days i will have gone over my limit. Pathetic. :mad::mad::mad:

6. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

They're hardly lying when it has a little '*' next to the unlimited and clearly states what that means in their ToC's. They can say 'unlimited' because they don't automatically charge you after the 200mb.

Seriously - if it bothers you that much don't buy an iPhone. Simple really.

-Leemo

7. m2uk macrumors regular

I am not an O2 customer nor will be. but the bait and switch type approach does irrirate me generally.

Why not just say "200mb limit" or whatever. Unlimited with a little star is just a cheap stunt.

8. shrewsburywolf macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

I'm with Leemo on this one, they don't say 200mb limit because it isn't, it's a fair usage policy.

9. BuxtonUK thread starter macrumors member

"o2 has stated that the fair usage limit applied to iPhone owners will be 200mb a day, which is around 1,400 standard web pages."

This is from AQA which is a service provided and affilliated with o2 which will attempt to answer any question you throw at it, I simply asked it;

"What is the download limit with regards to o2's unlimited (fair usage) data allowances for the iPhone and it's users."

Web bolt-ons appear to be something different than what us iPhone users will be getting but time will tell.
    That's just the news I've got but at the end of the day in this situation it's probably better to be a little pessimistic if it does indeed turn out to be 200mb per day then we can all rejoice in WiFi download glory.

10. sananda macrumors 68020

fair use is 200MB per month

i asked matthew key, the 02 ceo, about and the press office to send me the following:

Thank you for your email below. I am responding on behalf of Matthew
    Key.

You can browse the web on an iPhone in three different ways; on the O2
    cellular network, over The Cloud WiFi hotspots and on any open
    home/work/public wifi connection.

The figure Matthew referred to on the 18th September was the maximum
    utilisation of the first two of these put together - clearly any use
    through home/work wifi would be additional.

Just explaining the exact numbers, the iPhone tariff includes a fair
    usage limit of 200MB on the O2 network and 60 hours on The Cloud per
    month. In our calculations on typical page size and usage this combined
    would equate to 1400 pages per day.

Last Thursday's announced flat rate data bolt-on does not include the
    Wi-Fi element which is why these figures are different.

I hope that makes sense but please don't hesitate to contact me if you
    have any further questions.

Best,
    Nick

11. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

It dose bother me and i think it dose bother a lot of people. you have to admit 200MB is nothing. Not only that but also a terrible tariff. Do you realize that the YouTube app will be pointless? because after you watch 6 Videos on EDGE (and EDGE isn't that slow) your internet will be cut off. If the fair use policy was 1GB it would be fine but 200MB is just pathetic.:mad:

On 3 you can pay £10 for 1GB of monthly transfer. While on o2 you pay £7.50 for 200MB.....

Probably the only reason O2 are offering The Cloud WiFi, is because they are not going to bother to much with EDGE....:mad:

12. ascender macrumors 68020

I guess it depends on how you use the iPhone. 200Mb a month on EDGE alone seems like a lot to me. Especially when you consider the wi-fi stuff. I know I won't be hammering the EDGE connection for the sake of it. Sure there'll be the novelty factor for the first while and demo'ing it to your mates, but if I'm going to be doing a lot on the web, I'm more likely to be near wi-fi or a computer/laptop which I'd rather use.

What are people planning doing month in, month out, which is going to be using EDGE so much?

13. Roseyboy macrumors member

So does the iPhone cache/store website history such as graphics etc for smaller file-size upon a revisit.

eg if i visit macrumors every-time i go on my iphone does it have to download all the images/graphics everytime, or simply pulls local files for non changed items?

14. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

Erm, that's wrong on both counts. The videos for EDGE are compressed more heavily, also they won't just 'cut off' your internet as you say. Do you not read my posts? I know how the tariff is going to work.

-Leemo

15. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

A little chat:

Friend: have you seen that great video on youtube?
    Me: No.
    friend: dosnt your iphone have the youtube app?
    Me: yes.
    Friend: so get it out and load the video..
    Me: well, I aredy watched 6 videos so if I show you the video I will reach my monthly limit. and might get my internet speed cut down a bit.

16. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

Ok, sorry i didn't know that the YT videos were heavily compressed.

17. m2uk macrumors regular

Just checking mail and maybe one or two web pages each session has took my cellphone GPRS bill to over 200mb for about 3 weeks in hospital. This was very, very light and selective use as well. No large attachments.

Even a typical mail checking and synch session can be several mb before you bring down lots of mail.

18. studentmac macrumors regular

This amount of data per month is simply not enough.

To call it unlimited on the tariff page is ridiculous, even with the terms and conditions at the bottom.

19. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

Couldn't agree more.

20. ClaphamChris macrumors regular

It must seriously depend on usage. I've used my Orange 3G phone to check email (downloaded headers only and read full messages I needed to urgently) and had a quick nose around key WAP sites every weekday for a month and was sweating about whether I'd go over my 30MB ceiling (yep, 30MB and it costs £8 - $15 - per month).

Got my bill and had used a grand total of:

12.2MB.

In some ways the iPhone tariffs look rough, but compared to Orange's rates on 3G, they're very good indeed. Perhaps when people get into real world usage, those limits won't seem as restrictive as they do at the moment. Hope so anyway....

21. studentmac macrumors regular

Maybe if almost all the iphone purchasers in November go over the fair usage limit in the first month, then o2 may think twice about their terms. I cant imagine them slowing down everyones data if we all go over.

22. shrewsburywolf macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

23. ascender macrumors 68020

That's mirrored my experience of 3G on O2. I was concerned about just how much I was using, but it was really nothing in the scheme of things.