o2's Position for Upgrading to the 16GB iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Phatzer, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Phatzer macrumors regular

Phatzer

Hey guys,

I've taken a quick look around but there seems to be no posts at the moment. o2 are allowing customers to upgrade from the 8GB to the 16GB iPhone by purchasing the new 16GB model for £329.

The current iPhone contract will not be renewed, it will stay for the same duration.

o2 Also mention the ability to be able to sell the 8GB model to somebody else and they can purchase a new SIM for it, all information is here:

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/o2tariffsforiphone/existingcustomers

Thanks

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

that's pretty cool that you can upgrade so easily... in the states it will be a different story

3. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I hope T-Mobile in Germany does the same, I don't believe they will though

4. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Well I'm glad they were quick to spell that out quickly. There have been a lot of ugly rumors flying about...

I wonder what happens if you don't have the SIM though... If you phone is destroyed/lost/stolen are they going let existing customers buy a new phone and activate it on the same contract.

5. sparkyms macrumors 65816

That's really good actually. If I could find someone who was interested to buy it it would tempt me!

6. ne0star macrumors regular

Thats really good to know, Like MacsAttack says there is another thread warning how if a new model came out existing o2 iPhone users couldn't upgrade.

Not that I have any plans to spend £329 for more space. I currently have 7 gig free on mine, and it has a perfect screen.

7. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Very relieved to hear this.
    Hopefully the same will apply when a ver.2 iPhone is available…

8. hexonxonx macrumors 601

It's the same here in the states. We can upgrade and not have to start a new contract. Already did it with my 16GB.

9. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Bl**dy hell. O2 are surprising me at the moment!

With the tarriff changes and now this, they're actually offering a half decent service!

Don't use most of the space on my iphone as it is though so I won't be upgrading until a new phone comes out.

10. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

11. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Will O2 do the same thing when iPhone Rev. B. comes out? If so, I'll buy an iPhone today.

12. ne0star macrumors regular

Hopefully the same will apply to all iphone revisions.

This is a change from what was said at the beginning. I think it was stated that you could always upgrade to the new iphone without penalty, but would have to start another 18month contract so this is even better.

13. alFR macrumors 68020

Yes, after the total trainwreck I'm used to with other telco companies I've been surprised with how good O2's iPhone and ADSL support people have been when I've dealt with them!

14. aanndrew macrumors member

hehe
    i asked o2 and they said i could just switch the simcard
    so woohoo if they sdk is anygood which im praying will use the iphones multitouch to the best it can be like i say if its good ill get the 16gb if not stick with the 8 gb :D

15. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

To be honest, I've had loads of trouble with O2 in the past but after trying Orange and Vodafone, I'm glad to be back with O2 and the service seems to be a lot better of late.

Wonder if Apple have insisted on some service levels? :-s

16. thworple macrumors 6502

thworple

I'm half tempted to sell my iPhone to a friend and get a new 16GB now based on this. I think O2 have been pretty great as of late.

17. maclincsUK macrumors newbie

I have already started negations with my friends.... :)

18. adom macrumors 6502

hmm...all i need now is to find a friend who wants to sell their old 4gig one! :p
    im tempted to get an iphone, but am really unsure at the moment. need to test a bit more in store i think

19. applemax macrumors 65816

applemax

But you can't buy 4GB iPhones from Apple/CPW/O2 in the UK :)

20. adom macrumors 6502

Oh, I thought before the refresh they were 4GB and 8GB options...then upgraded to 8GB & 16GB :confused:

21. applemax macrumors 65816

applemax

Nope, when they went on sale on November 9 there were only 8GB models. The demo units were 4GB, but all retail units were 8GB. This was because of the price drop and the termination of the 4GB model before the UK release.